Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default The mitered corners on binding

I have probably a silly question, but I would like to know how you turn your miters on the binding. A few years ago when I was learning how to quilt, I looked up a lot of things online. I wondered whether to make the miter go the same way on both sides of the binding and found a Youtube video that said to never have the miter go the same way. They compared it to the snout on a pig and you should always look at it and make sure the little snouts were going in the opposite ways. So I have been doing that, but it just looks funny to me. What do you ladies do?

2. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The mitered corners on binding

Hi Ruth
    I'm sorry I can't answer your question I haven't done a mitered corner in so long I have forgot.
    I want to say Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts.Also the only silly or dumb questions are the ones never asked because you will never know if you don't ask.
    Joan

4. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I turn them opposite ways. Seems like it makes less bulk on the corners. Just my opinion but really it's whatever you think is best. No rules in quilting.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting question. After 5 years of quilting, I have never heard of this, nor have I thought about the direction of my mitered corners. So ... I went to the nearest quilt and table runner to see how the corners were turned. On the table runner, two corners were turned in the same direction, the other two in opposite directions. On the quilt, three were in opposite directions, one in the same direction.

Both bindings were sewn by machine. (I avoid sewing by hand as much as possible.) When I am attaching the binding, all corners are turned in the same direction. But when I turn the binding to sew down the second side, I turn the corners in whatever direction lies best. I try to sew them all in the same direction, but have no problem with changing if it lies flatter with the change. I never considered how the corner was turned on the other side.

Now I will be curious to see how the corners are turned the next time I attach a binding.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia H View Post
    Interesting question. After 5 years of quilting, I have never heard of this, nor have I thought about the direction of my mitered corners. So ... I went to the nearest quilt and table runner to see how the corners were turned. On the table runner, two corners were turned in the same direction, the other two in opposite directions. On the quilt, three were in opposite directions, one in the same direction.

Both bindings were sewn by machine. (I avoid sewing by hand as much as possible.) When I am attaching the binding, all corners are turned in the same direction. But when I turn the binding to sew down the second side, I turn the corners in whatever direction lies best. I try to sew them all in the same direction, but have no problem with changing if it lies flatter with the change. I never considered how the corner was turned on the other side.

Now I will be curious to see how the corners are turned the next time I attach a binding.
    Same here! LOL
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The course on Craftsy on bindings that I just watched a few days ago have you putting the corner on opposite sides. They say that it is less bulky that way. I've tried it twice now and I have to say not only is it less bulky but also my corners set a nicer miter. So now I'm making sure they are not both going in the same direction.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

9. Thanks sewbizzy, pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I turn my miters in the direction that makes them lay flatter and look better. Sometimes I'm a little binding challenged. No quilt police around here.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all the above posts, and we all hear that there are NO quilt police. However, I heard 'somewhere' that if you are entering in a judged competition that the first thing they check is the direction of your miters - and if they are both turned the same direction it is an automatic disqualification.

Anyone know whether or not this is true? I don't intend to enter any competitions, so I do what ever works best for me.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

good thing i don't ever plan on entering!!!! "Ribbons" are not in my wheelhouse!! Can you imagine "GrammaBabs" actually thinking about "which direction her miters are going"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    I agree with all the above posts, and we all hear that there are NO quilt police. However, I heard 'somewhere' that if you are entering in a judged competition that the first thing they check is the direction of your miters - and if they are both turned the same direction it is an automatic disqualification.

Anyone know whether or not this is true? I don't intend to enter any competitions, so I do what ever works best for me.
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

13. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    I heard 'somewhere' that if you are entering in a judged competition that the first thing they check is the direction of your miters - and if they are both turned the same direction it is an automatic disqualification.
    They also check if the diagonal joins on your bindings are going the same direction. I know someone who took a quilt judging course here in Canada and I asked her all these; except I forgot about the mitered corners. Next time I see her, I will ask.