• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sylvia H
    Missouri Star
    • May 2014

Have you made a weighted quilt/blanket?

If anyone has made a weighted quilt or blanket, I could use your advice.

I have been asked to make a weighted quilt for a child. I know just a little bit about them, and I have seen the Man Sewing tutorial on a weighted blanket. But as I was asked to make a quilt, I am wondering if such a thing exists. Would it be too heavy with the weights and the batting? I have also thought about making it with flannel as the batting.

Any suggestions?
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar
  • Sandy Navas
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2010

Re: Have you made a weighted quilt/blanket?

Sylvia, someone here on the forum made some a couple years ago, but it escapes me who did them. I don't think the batting would add too much - after all the comfort is in the weight.

Weighted Quilts for Autism - Quilting How To's - APQS Forums

So here's one of my first how to videos, it's just a basic guide on how to make your own weighted blanket/quilt. As I mentioned in the video, they're good fo...

Weighted Blanket Pattern from FunQuilts | AllPeopleQuilt.com Staff Blog

Sewing Tutorial: How to Make a Weighted Blanket (Sensory Friendly) - Mama Smiles
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• Altairss
      Missouri Star
      • May 2014

I have not made a normal weighted one like the tutorial but made a different kind for someone with Autism. First you need to know if they have sensory issues. Some cannot handle the feel of certain types of fabrics so that can limit you if they do. Which is what happened in my case. For the one I made I needed something super soft and tactile on both sides. So I did a twin size Minky strip quilt with heavy batting. You can do two layers of batting but with all that Minky it was pretty heavy on its own. Since Minky is only about 50 to 60 wide I had to add borders I did all the center strips then added the borders last. It worked a treat I have been looking into the other kind of weighted blankets but haven't tried on yet. But this was a workable solution for me with the sensory issues.
      Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

• Bernamom
        9 Patch Princess
        • Jul 2015

I have made 2, 1st one was using the "Man Sewing" tutorial. I used Fleece one one side and a cute flannel on the other. As far as I know it has held up well. The 2nd one I made like a rag quilt, and put the beads in each block before sewing together. The first time I washed it, it fell apart a bit, and lost some beads, but was fixable. I thought the rag quilt would be good, so it could be added to later as the child grew. I think my flannel wasn't the best quality and that may have been the problem. Good luck!

Comment

• Quiltinggranny
          Shiny Thimble
          • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
          If anyone has made a weighted quilt or blanket, I could use your advice.

I have been asked to make a weighted quilt for a child. I know just a little bit about them, and I have seen the Man Sewing tutorial on a weighted blanket. But as I was asked to make a quilt, I am wondering if such a thing exists. Would it be too heavy with the weights and the batting? I have also thought about making it with flannel as the batting.

Any suggestions?
          I have made about 6 or 7 . I just take two pieces of flannel and sew them together make rows about 5 inches apart, figure out how much of the beads to put in each pocket. Pour it down the tub that is made from 5 inch rows, I pin the beads in and then stitch a 5 inch row. Now you have a pocket. Repeat this till complete. The amount of beads is determined by the weight of the child. You can google and see what these pockets look like when pinished.

Comment

• Sylvia H
            Missouri Star
            • May 2014

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. Sandy - thanks for all the links, they are very helpful.

From the suggestion made by Altairss, I have discussed this child's sensory needs with her mother. What I will be doing is making a quilt with a cotton top and flannel back. I am going to start with just the two layers. After all is sewn together and the beads put in the pockets, the mom and I will decide if another layer of flannel may be needed on the back.

In addition to the cotton on the top, I may be adding some items for additional texture. Her mother and I are discussing what might be appropriate. The mother prefers natural materials, which is why we will not be using Minky or fleece. (That's fine with me, as I have never sewn with those fabrics.)

Again, I appreciate everyone's input. I am excited about this project, as I feel it will be very beneficial.
            If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Luvngrammy
              Quilting Royalty
              • Jun 2011

I made one for my Gran-daughter..she was only 2.5 yrs old. We did a 5lb quilt. I used Jennys Tumbler the one that fits the charm packs 5inch. Layed it all out sewed it together. Normal backing and batting (warm n natural..lighter weight) then on the back of the top I put a layer of fusable flannel just to be sure in case of any seams letting go, that I would not lose any of the beads. He quilt is about Crib size. I sewed on my Juki machine and did stitch in the ditch just the vertical lines first to make the tubes. I used a gift wrap tube to put the poly beads into the quilt. After each row was filled I did a horizontal sewing line across to close it up. Then again another row in the tubes..etc..we put 5lb of beads into it and divided those by how many squares I made. I have pictures on my profile page I think. She is now 5yrs old and still uses it daily. she tells me she needs a bigger one! I have washed it many times and have to date never lost any beads. I researched online and the ones we saw were boring and ugly..and expensive. So as I say alot..I can make that!!! I did..it is girly and she loves it! are some photos on my FB page!

Comment

• kensington
                Missouri Star
                • Jul 2012

I have not, but have been looking at them since seeing the Man Sewing tut. I have a nephew that has Downs/Autism. But, since he is 12 I am not sure he would have any part of it. He is stubborn and pretty set in his ways.

This would mean introducing something new to his environment and he doesn't do well with that.

Comment

• Sylvia H
                  Missouri Star
                  • May 2014

Luvngrammy - the quilt is so pretty. Thanks for the hint of using a wrapping paper tube! Kensington, would he be more interested if he could help pick out the fabric? Twelve year olds, with or without special needs can be stubborn. It is kind of you to want to do something for him.

Comment

• Mariankay
                    Shiny Thimble
                    • Oct 2015

Hi I'm new, but had to add a comment. I made one. The weight of the blanket is one pound of poly beads for every ten lbs. Weight of the person. So a 40 lb child would need a 4 lb blanket . I used flannel on one side and cotton on the other. Others mentioned about sewing the vertical channels, adding beads, then sewing a horizontal seam. The one I made is child sized and has been washed a lot! I found an excellence youtube video and drew a diagram.

Comment

• bubba
                      Missouri Star
                      • Mar 2013

I have a good friend who makes and sells them. She normally uses fleece for the backing, no batting in between the layers.
                      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• RockinLou
                        Missouri Star
                        • Oct 2014

I know I'm late to this discussion, but I wanted to say that I made a rag quilt from denim and flannel, and used it very effectively as a weighted blanket with my daughter for two years. I have another one all cut and waiting to be pieced in Atlanta. Maybe I'll get to it this Christmas... If not, over the summer. I think my nephew will benefit from it most.

Comment

• pipsmom
                          Shiny Thimble
                          • Feb 2019

That would actually work really well, and if you're worried about it being too heavy, you just need to factor in the weight of the fabric and batting. This DIY weighted blanket tutorial actually uses flannel and batting, so it's exactly the setup you're talking about.

Comment

• LindaValdez
                            Shiny Thimble
                            • Jun 2019

I am making weighted blankets for my autistic child. It can't sleep at night, I believe it will definitely help those with autism. But sewing these weighted quilts is not easy. It is necessary to ensure that the weight ratio is 10% of the child's weight and each square is filled with glass beads. I need some advice on sewing.

Comment

• LauraP
                              Missouri Star
                              • Dec 2015

Make tubes, fill them, then sew tubes going the other way. Helps hold the beads in place. Make sure you move the beads out of the way.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X