Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help needed

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help needed

I have an elderly neighbor (80) who has a lot of problems, health & mental.

He used to enjoy the hobby of carving wood, but can no longer do that because of heart meds and the danger of cutting himself. I know that he sits for hours, feeling sorry for himself and wishing that he would die. I need to find him a simple hobby. Rosie Greer (famous football player) used to do needlepoint to calm himself. Cross word puzzles might work. Are there any color books or another activity you can suggest?

Open for suggestions!

2. Thanks auntynell thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help needed

When my late husband was no longer able to be active he took up coloring black velvet paintings. The carry them at K-Mart and have ever so many different ones to choose from. I have one of a bowl of fruit that's priceless to me.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Why not get him interested in quilting. Small piecing project either by hand or by machine might interest him.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sudoku and Scrabble
    Also helps with brain agility and may keep Alzheimer's Away.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used to do soap carving. Much duller knife and far less chance of getting hurt. You can actually carve Ivory bars with a wooden cuticle stick. And it holds almost as good as wood.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wildernessquilter View Post
    Why not get him interested in quilting. Small piecing project either by hand or by machine might interest him.
    No, I don't want to spend a lot of time with him. Need something that he can do by himself.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he could do some sculpture with the Pima clay. Just small things. It comes in many colors and you can bake it in the oven. It is the stuff that many people use to make the multi-colored beads with. Or if his hands are still nimble enough he might enjoy making keychains and stuff with the paracord.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There are adult coloring books now!!! They have interesting geometric shapes, animals, flowers, etc. I even saw them at Joanns yesterday! Have you ever seen the sculpting sand? It's like clay, but does not harden and you can get molds and use it over and over again. Our grandkids have some and love it!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest wood burning. You get the tool at Hobby Lobby, Michaels or Walmart and it is not too expensive when using a coupon.

There are wood bottom baskets on Etsy using plywood or natural, sliced wood discs - just search "wood bottom basket". You could sketch a few designs to give him an idea. Later, he can develop his own style. Check with your local tree surgeon and ask them to save him some wood rounds from smaller tree. If you explain it is for the elderly, most people are glad to help.

Check with your State Park Service for a folk art festival coordinator who can put with basket weavers who will take the bottoms.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I went to my local book store to see if they had any new quilting books, and I was surprised to see about three rows of coloring books for adults. They had so many different themes, though some of the shapes are quite small. I would recommend using colored pencils or fine tipped markers.