Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: fleece backing

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default fleece backing

Can fleece be used for backing. I know it is 100% polyester so will not shrink, but my quilt top is cotton, does this create unique issues for washing it? Are there any other things I need to keep in mind if I use fleece for backing?

Thank you for your help
    Michelle

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: fleece backing

Michelle, I have used fleece on 6 of my quilts and it's awesome. Fleece is not the traditional choice, but I like the comfy snuggle feeling. Just be careful of the fleece that you buy as some has a lot of stretch and will make the quilting a headache. Oh and I used a fair bit of 505 to spray baste.
    Sometimes I wake up Grumpy!
    Other times I just let HIM sleep.

Lynn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that fleece is really stretchy one way, and not at all the other way. I think it is length=stretchy, width=not stretchy. But either way, just be aware of that, and you will do fine.
    I would imagine that for lap quilts, and baby quilts, and "sofa" quilts, fleece would be appreciated and appropriate. But for traditional bed quilts, in my opinion, a regular cotton backing would be more of a keepsake. Just my opinion, possibly biased.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Do you guys put a regular binding on your fleece backed quults, or do you sew them right sides together,my hen turn them out....,I have a couple to do.... I don't use batting in these quilts... No need...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The last two baby quilts I did, I just turned the fleece up and machine sewed it, with thread that matched the fleece. I have used a regular cotton binding, though, with fleece.
    I didn't do a real neat job on the corners with the fleece turned up as binding. I ended up cutting it and overlapping the corners, if I remember correctly.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just hem it. I like to use this method:

Making Mitered Corners on a Hemmed Quilt
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have used fleece as backing, without any batting, for a few quilts. I was careful by spray basting. With some of them I machine sewed the binding to the back, and then folded it to the front and sewed with a decorative stitch.

With this baby quilt I had cut the backing much larger than the front, so I could fold the extra inches towards the front and stitch them down like a frame. I hope the pic helps.

Edited: what I did is exactly what Vonnie has just posted.
    Last edited by lourixe; October 12th, 2015 at 12:35 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lourixe View Post
    I have used fleece as backing, without any batting, for a few quilts. I was careful by spray basting. With some of them I machine sewed the binding to the back, and then folded it to the front and sewed with a decorative stitch.

With this baby quilt I had cut the backing much larger than the front, so I could fold the extra inches towards the front and stitch them down like a frame. I hope the pic helps.

Edited: what I did is exactly what Vonnie has just posted.
    Beautiful! That quilting style is perfect for a fleece backing.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is a nice way to finish the backing/ binding on a quilt. Looks very nice kathy