Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need advice on industrial sewing machine

Since you have the serial or model number, Brother itself might have something in industrial machines.

This site also carries industrials and might have info:
    Brother Instruction Manuals: Sewing Parts Online

HTH

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    On both Jack (the new Juki) and Matilda (the Pfaff), there is a box underneath with a dial so you can set the number of spm. I had Jack at the lowest, which I think is 250, but he recently got clicked up to 350 (I think the max is 5000!!). I'll sew at that speed for a bit and probably click it up one more time.

My main foot has a guard on it so I can't sew my finger (thank God!). I often get confused between the knee lifter and the foot pedal. When I learned to sew years ago, you used a knee lever to run the machine and that has come back to me. Make sure there is oil in the machine! Mine has a pan underneath that you fill, then there are wicks that suck the oil up into the machine. When MM set it up, he used almost a quart of it! Should be good for a couple years, they said.

I'm sure you will be able to find something online. I'm lucky that if I do have problems, there is a store that sells industrials about 20 minutes from my house and I can call and ask them questions. It's about a mile from MM's work, so he can stop on his way home and pick things up for me if I need them.

Oh, the most confusing part for me was winding the bobbin, which you do off to the side of the machine. I had to YouTube that to figure out how to do it. If yours is like that too, make sure you unthread the machine halfway to the point where you take the thread out of that part that goes up and down. If you don't, you will have a big mess on your hands....yes, I know from experience!
    This is what little I know. It does have a pan. She gave me the bottle of oil (about half full) but there is no label on the bottle. Not sure which to get. I made sure that the pan that had the oil transferred home with out spilling it. Didn't want to waste it.

It does have the bobbin winder on the side. That looks confusing. Not 100% sure but I thought she said I didn't have to unthread the machine. She did give me her Facebook page so I can friend her and ask questions. I might have to. It is one strong machine. Industrials are like that. LOL It's one mean motor though. Aside from the stickers, it looks almost new. Very clean.

In Rhode Island, there are very few sewing centers. I don't believe there are industrial sewing centers. I rely on learning all I can about maintaining and fixing because of this. I also rely on the internet for parts.

I'm glad you mentioned things like speed control and wicks. I have no idea about the speed control but I think if it did, she would have mentioned it. I will look. I think I will have to do it the old fashioned way and learn to control my speed manually. Back to the basics. My Brother PC-420 has speed control so I can't go over a certain speed, needle down, auto threader (that was a throwback when she said I thread the industrial manually). I was also surprised that it didn't have a thread cutter, anywhere. She said to use the large screw that holds the needle.

Think I will go look now. This is virginal territory. At my age, I don't get to say that very often.
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the crappy photos but when I took them, I wasn't thinking I would be posting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belt.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	119260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bobbin winder 2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	119261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bobbin winder.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	119262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brother label.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	119263Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front 1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	119264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front 2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	119265Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full front.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	119266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	119267Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	119268
    Hugs,
    Joanne

Happiness = fabric!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what I found from the tag on the back. The GNBRVTH5 number is the code for the Greater New Bedford Regional Vocational Technical High School. Not much to go on.
    Hugs,
    Joanne

Happiness = fabric!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Order yourself one of these Industrial Sewing Machine Grip Snip Thread Cutter | eBay

We had cutters like this on our machines when I worked for Levi Strauss. Well, on some of the machines. When I had to change machines I used to take the cutter off and take it with me. The mechanics used to get so mad at me. I told them when they made sure that ALL the machines had cutters I'd would stop.

Or here is a little stick on one - http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/thr...f-machine.aspx

I'd get the first one if it were me.
    Last edited by K. McEuen; October 10th, 2015 at 12:51 PM.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How do I manage to put my pants on in the morning? I bought this last week, took all the photos and when I finally get to look at it today, The model number is right on the front. Ugh. I found the parts list. No instructional manual yet but I am on the right track. I think I need to be protected from myself sometimes. This was a no brainer yet I never saw it because her house was a bit dark and the label is under the reverse lever. Goes to show that I never got a chance in the last week to look. Still good to ask advice from others. Nothing counts more than learning from someone with experience.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	model number.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	119269
    Hugs,
    Joanne

Happiness = fabric!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    Order yourself one of these Industrial Sewing Machine Grip Snip Thread Cutter | eBay

We had cutters like this on our machines when I worked for Levi Strauss. Well, on some of the machines. When I had to change machines I used to take the cutter off and take it with me. The mechanics used to get so mad at me. I told them when they made sure that ALL the machines had cutters I'd would stop.

Or here is a little stick on one - Thread Cutter, Universal Sewing Machine: Sewing Parts Online

I'd get the first one if it were me.
    OMG that is awesome! Since the first one attaches to the machine with the screw that holds the presser foot, does it get in the way if you are running a quilt under it or changing out feet?
    Hugs,
    Joanne

Happiness = fabric!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It never got in the way of sewing jeans. The screw was pretty high up, but maybe if yours sits lower then the stick on would work better for you.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    It never got in the way of sewing jeans. The screw was pretty high up, but maybe if yours sits lower then the stick on would work better for you.
    I actually like the first one better. I'm going to try to find a photo of it attached to get a visual. It's a great idea and I had no idea something like that existed. I'm watching a video on how to master your industrial machine. LOLOL I need to find if there are other "make your life easier" attachments. She gave me about 6 different feet. I had no idea zipper feet were so thin. I actually think it is a cording foot and not a zipper foot. She showed me a zipper foot and said that the other one was a skinnier zipper foot but looking around, that one was labeled on eBay as a cording foot.
    Hugs,
    Joanne

Happiness = fabric!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The cutter sat behind the bar for the most part, not out to the side. So it really never got in the way of sewing.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.