Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb FMQ gloves too hot for you?

I have tried those gloves for FMQ but they make my hands sweat in them.

I've been watching a Craftsy class on Quilting Linear Spaces and she uses rubber thimbles! Two thimbles on each of her hands! I'm going to have to try this.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FMQ gloves too hot for you?

Sounds like a good idea! I saw someone a while ago use those little red finger grippy things (yes, that's the technical name for them) that you buy at office supply stores for sorting papers and such. Those seemed to work pretty well for her, so I can imagine the rubbery thimbles will be much the same. I have a pair of cotton gardening gloves with the little nubbies on them, the cotton stays much cooler, plus I'm allergic to latex so I'm iffy on gloves unless they state they are latex free.
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One of the craftsy videos I watched the lady used some "bat wing" type things that she held in her hand to move the fabric. Can't remember the name of them.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Machingers are the best, IMO. My hands do not get hot in them.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    Machingers are the best, IMO. My hands do not get hot in them.
    That's the brand I have but I still get hot in them.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with you snippet I find gloves to be hot and I didn't like the bulk , rather awkward for me. Let us know what you think of the rubber thimbles when you try them.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Machinger gloves, but a few years ago I read on Diane Gaudynski's site that she uses Neutrogena Hand creme (the one that comes in a tube) on her finger tips and palms. (Just a little tiny bit goes a very long way.) I have tried it and it really does work. It makes your fingers and palms a bit tacky and sticky so you can grip and move the quilt easily. Might be worth a try for those who do not like gloves. I also sometimes use the Neutrogena when I am piecing and want just a bit more grip but don't want the bother of gloves at that point in the process. Makes working with my piecing even easier.

Oh, and I have had the same tube of Neutrogena hand creme for over three years now and not even half way through it, that's how little you use at a time.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use the same gloves and sometimes my hands get uncomfortable in them too. I think I have a few of those thimbles maybe I will try them on one hand to see. Once I find them
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A while back I bought Christina Camelli FMQ class on Craftsy (she also has free videos on youtube) and she cuts off 3 of the fingers of either glove. I haven't tried it yet, but I might.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My one gripe with Machingers is the color! Mine got dye transfer from some green cotton and a few other colors. I'd hate to say what they looked like, and it wouldn't wash out! I finally tossed them.

The LQS had some blue stretch ones that would go over any ring, and you are supposed to be able to grab threads. Trying those and hope no more dye transfer. More of a pain to get on, (like dress kid gloves, not garden ones).but do breathe and are fairly comfortable.

I've seen posted grabbers made from some type of kitchen scrubbee. They put a ribbon across for their hands. Whatever works.