Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tv trays made into portable ironing board

I recently saw or heard how to do this, however can't find anything can anyone help me please. Then you so much Cecelia

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tv trays made into portable ironing board

Pretty simple, you need a wooden TV tray, put a layer or two of batting on top, put a layer of fabric or ironing fabric on top of that, wrap to the back and staple onto the bottom of the tray. It works best to staple the center of each side first, stretching as you go.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use a wooden tv tray as a portable ironing station, but I am lazy and just throw an old beach towel folded up over it. Someday, I might staple it down and make it pretty.
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/how...-t-v-tray.html

This was a post from a while ago that I saved because I want to make one too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made one, I just used a regular wooden TV tray, then I put a layer of insul-bright (probably not necessary, but I did it anyway), then I put an old white towel on it that was fraying at the ends and folded it in half so it was doubled, and then just covered it in my fabric and stapled it to the bottom so it looks pretty Well, pretty from the top, don't crawl under it and look up because then it's not so pretty lol It was really simple! I did staple down the towel first, because it was getting a little unruly, and then I cut my fabric a little larger so I could staple it in past where the staples were in the towel. But it turned out great, and wasn't scary at all! Took about 15 or 20 minutes once I gathered all of my supplies.

(Edit: Brain fart. I think I put the insul-bright down first to protect the table, then the towels on top of it. I made it about two years ago, so the details are a little fuzzy...)
    Last edited by Musical_Starling; October 6th, 2015 at 07:02 PM.
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much everyone , I knew was pretty easy just wasn't sure what I needed

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I know I used insul-brite too, layer of batting, and fabric. DH made 2 of these and mentioned that the stapling was not easy, said it was the kind of wood the tray was made out of. I was surprised to hear him say that because he never seems to have a problem in anything I ask him to do.
    If stapling ends up hard for you, I'm sure you could use duct tape on the bottom of the tray to keep the fabric on. Or some people put a piece of elastic around the outside of the fabric so they can take it off and wash it. That might be on the video mentioned above, I don't know, I didn't watch it.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? quilting trish

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingtrish View Post
    I know I used insul-brite too, layer of batting, and fabric. DH made 2 of these and mentioned that the stapling was not easy, said it was the kind of wood the tray was made out of. I was surprised to hear him say that because he never seems to have a problem in anything I ask him to do.
    If stapling ends up hard for you, I'm sure you could use duct tape on the bottom of the tray to keep the fabric on. Or some people put a piece of elastic around the outside of the fabric so they can take it off and wash it. That might be on the video mentioned above, I don't know, I didn't watch it.
    I had that problem too, the staples would only go in maybe halfway. So I whacked 'em with a hammer It was very cathartic!
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of those TV trays are made from maple. They used to be called hard rock maple.....for a reason.