Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well it happened

Last weekend at the forum retreat we got to use the Oliso irons. You know, the ones that raise up so you don't have to set them up every time. Some of us talked at the time that we would go home and forget to set up our irons. Well, I did great until a few minutes ago. I started smelling something, and yep, sure enough I had left my iron down! It didn't leave too much of a scorch mark!

After using the Oliso iron, I really liked it, but it did get a little heavy. I'm thinking I might rather get the cordless Panisonic.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Well it happened

Lori, I too had to make a conscious effort to remember to set my iron upright. Luckily I have not yet forgotten but I am sure it will happen.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Gimmicks are great.......for messing up your routine!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I never could get the hang of the Oliso irons, so I didn't get in the habit of leaving it down!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lori if you get the cordless you can buy a silicone resting pad. So instead of walking over to your charger you can set it down for those few seconds on your board. Mine is square. It came with some kitchen thing I got.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tefl...+iron+rest+pad

Lorie

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't get the hang of leaving it down. It almost fell off once because I set it up.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You now, every time I watch a tut, I can't help but thinking.... how many times has Jenny accidentally left a regular iron down and scorched something....

Makes me feel better about also not having one because I now I would burn the place down the first time I used a different iron after that.
    Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just tried an Oliso. I like it. For a non-generator steam iron, it puts out a lot. I have a Pfaff ironing board that has an extremely heavy tray on the end. Put a piece of fabric down, and I can remove the iron from the board. The board was made for a gravity system Pfaff sold years ago and does have a fan to pull steam through.

I wouldn't mind another steam generator, but Rowenta is out, Reliable no longer making the self contained ones, and Laurastar too expensive. I could only find filters for my Reliable Velocity in one place - Amazon, Reliable and All-brands no longer carry them.
    The cats managed to knock a Rowenta steam generator off the tank and onto the floor, so I'd like to avoid that type of tank.

Oliso seemed like the next step. I have enough stuff on chargers. I don't need another one. At least the phones, e-readers and one tablet use the same mini USB. I also need an iron that will shut off. I prefer hour timers. I had one that would set for 1//2 1 or 2 hours but was only good up to 1600 volts. Every new iron I've had is 1800.

You can't use a timer for turning on lights or coffee makers. That goes on at the same time every day. The other half attached a light timer to a mini iron and it almost burned up a cabinet. He forgot it went on per day and not per use.
    Last edited by Alpha O; October 4th, 2015 at 12:01 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For me the Olisio is out of my price range...But boy do I love, love love my cordless Panasonic. Best investment ever!!!
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no! I do own an Oliso (not the yellow or pink ones though, the white one with the orange bottom) and I'm always worried that if something happens and I have to get another iron then I'm going to forget to tip it back up. The iron I use most when I'm pressing seams is the little mini one like Crafty Gemini uses, it was a Daily Deal a while back, so that one I remember to pick up because it's a different size, but I always worry that I'll use a regular iron again at some point and forget to pick the bugger back up!
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World