Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help!! I did something stupid!

Before leaving on vacation, I straightened up my sewing room and put away my Winter 2014 issue of BLOCK magazine because I was in the middle of making two jelly roll race 2 quilts and didn't want to lose the instructions. Well, of course, now I can't find where I put it and really need to finish the quilts. Luckily, I bought the yardage for the borders for both quilts already but I don't know how big the borders are supposed to be. I can't buy anymore of the one fabric because I got the last of what my LQS had so I need to be precise with my border measurements. Can anyone help me?
    It's all fun and games until the bobbin runs out.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help!! I did something stupid!

Well, for borders on a jelly roll race quilt, I need 6-7 WOF pieces. Just multiply your desired width of border by either 6 ( more piecing) or 7 ( less piecing) and you'll find out how many inches of fabric you'll need. Get a tiny bit extra for good measure in case your rotary cutter slips and you need to recut an edge.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Is this what you are looking for?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=9w9UOFj0CSo

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza View Post
    I've seen the video but she doesn't say how big the borders are. I already bought the fabric for the borders per the material list in the Winter 2014 issue of Block but I lost the magazine and don't know how wide to cut the borders. I have to cut them just right because I can't get any more of that fabric.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

The book says to cut (7) 2 1/2" strips for the inner border and cut (6) 6 1/2" strips for the outer border. Not sure why the inner border would take infestations than the outer but that's what it says. You might check for corrections on the list. They are posted somewhere.

I found no correction to this pattern but the book says the quilt center is 55" x 63". Add 4" for the inner border and you are up to 59" x 67". That would take about 255" of outer border fabric. Seems like it would need 7 cuts of fabric not 6. ???
    Last edited by GrandmaE; October 4th, 2015 at 02:34 AM. Reason: addition comment

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

She says about 4" wide on the video. So I would cut them 4.5". I'm sorry I don't have the magazine handy or I would look it up for you! If you cut 4.5", you need about a yard of border fabric. A little less if you are a careful cutter :-)
    Kathe

Don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrandmaE View Post
    The book says to cut (7) 2 1/2" strips for the inner border and cut (6) 6 1/2" strips for the outer border. Not sure why the inner border would take infestations than the outer but that's what it says. You might check for corrections on the list. They are posted somewhere.

I found no correction to this pattern but the book says the quilt center is 55" x 63". Add 4" for the inner border and you are up to 59" x 67". That would take about 255" of outer border fabric. Seems like it would need 7 cuts of fabric not 6. ???
    You also might check ( I am not saying there is corrections on this....I don't know for sure ) to see if that particular BLOCK magazine had any corrections in it. Right now I can't remember where I seen the list of Block Magazine corrections.....

What's really strange is I can't find my copy of this same Block Magazine at the moment either !
    Last edited by redcaboose1717; October 4th, 2015 at 03:06 AM.

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redcaboose1717 View Post
    You also might check ( I am not saying there is corrections on this....I don't know for sure ) to see if that particular BLOCK magazine had any corrections in it. Right now I can't remember where I seen the list of Block Magazine corrections.....
    I did check and there are no corrections showing. On the home page if you click on subscribe to the magazine there is a small posting for corrections to click on.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much, GrandmaE for taking the time to look this up. I couldn't find any corrections either. You've been a great help and I'm in your debt.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I think I've got it figured out now. And anyone want to bet as soon as I finish the quilts, I'll find my missing issue of Block?