Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sewing machine

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sewing machine

All,

I am looking to buy a new sewing machine. I use mine to make the quilt tops and would like to also begin machine quilting. I don't think I would use any type of embroidery settings. Any suggestions on why you chose your machine, what you like or don't like, and if there is any machine that you would avoid?

Shannon

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sewing machine

I love Janome machines! I think they have a lot of value for the dollar. I have a 6600P and I like it better than any machine I've owned. It is just a workhorse. I got it initially for machine quilting but I use it for everything. It has a large harp space, AccuFeed, knee lift, needle up/down. It has a slide speed control so you can slow it down when you are FMQ or go full speed when you are strip piecing. It has a number of decorative stitches that I have actually used and they stitch out beautifully. There really isn't anything I don't like about this machine. I also have a 3160DC that I bought for classes/retreats. It has lots of nice features but weighs in around 12 lbs so it's easy to travel with. And my feet are interchangeable between the two machines. (except for the AccuFeed feet. Janome machines are worth a look. And when you do shop actually set down and sew on the machines.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Friends often ask me what sewing machine to buy. My first question is...how much are you willing to spend....and what features do you want it to have. I recently purchased a Pfaff Smarter C1100 Pro from just to see if I would recommend it to them. It was also 10% off over labor day and only $449.99....I figured someone would buy it off me sometime. It had the pfaff features I liked...most important...built in even feed foot, 2nd important.....ability to move the needle many places to the left or right, automatic thread cutter and built in needle threader. I used it for about 2 weeks and sold it to a member of our quilt group that had been looking for a new machine for a while. It is a cheaper machine than the traditional Pfaff's...but with all the features that I put a priority on. I got it online at: Sewing, quilting & embroidery machines, vacuums - Sewingmachinesplus.com PS: buy some extra bobbins as it only came with 3.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention on the Janome 3160DC - In reading some reviews some people have reported bobbin issues. I have never had any problem with mine. I also forgot to mention the automatic needle threader and the automatic cutter. I always forget I have the cutter because I never use it while FMQ.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

My husband is always asking what I want for Christmas, Mother's Day, and birthday - so I thought I would roll the machine into all 3. I would like to keep the price below the $600 mark, but if it has features that I just can't live without, I would be willing to go up.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sewingsooner View Post
    My husband is always asking what I want for Christmas, Mother's Day, and birthday - so I thought I would roll the machine into all 3. I would like to keep the price below the $600 mark, but if it has features that I just can't live without, I would be willing to go up.
    You should be able to purchase the Janome 3160DC for around that amount. I think I paid $599. The 6600 is higher. Actually if you want a larger harp space for machine quilting I think most machines are above that mark.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Brother Dreamweaver but it wasn't cheap. My other machine is a Juki H300 Exceed. I love it I've pieced and quilted with it. It has decorative stitches and a decent size throat space. It has sewn through some pretty thick stuff when I've made some bags with no complaints or missed stitches. If you are looking for something that just straight stitches I've read great reviews on the Juki 2010. My Exceed was under $500. I love that you step on the back of the foot control and it cuts your thread. It also has and optional knee lift and extension table. The knee lift comes standard with the H400 and the knee lift and extension table comes standard with the H600 but then you are getting more pricey.
    Good luck in your search.
    Susan Davis
    Remember, the mighty oak was just a nut that held its ground.

8. Thanks Catseye thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingaway View Post
    I love Janome machines! I think they have a lot of value for the dollar. I have a 6600P and I like it better than any machine I've owned. It is just a workhorse. I got it initially for machine quilting but I use it for everything. It has a large harp space, AccuFeed, knee lift, needle up/down. It has a slide speed control so you can slow it down when you are FMQ or go full speed when you are strip piecing. It has a number of decorative stitches that I have actually used and they stitch out beautifully. There really isn't anything I don't like about this machine. I also have a 3160DC that I bought for classes/retreats. It has lots of nice features but weighs in around 12 lbs so it's easy to travel with. And my feet are interchangeable between the two machines. (except for the AccuFeed feet. Janome machines are worth a look. And when you do shop actually set down and sew on the machines.
    I too have this machine. it truly is all that Quiltingaway says it is too. Looked for a replacement machine for a long timeafter Charlie dumped saltwater on my Necchi. I have never regretted buying it. I have sewed so much with this machine that the paint in front of dogfeed is worn. Love it. Kathy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Janome fan, have the 6600 but I got it second hand from the dealer. So consider one from a dealer that may have been used at a quilt show or is a trade in to get more bang for your buck.... And a larger harp space.
    Good luck!!!
    My friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Babylock Elizabeth,
    She quiet, ( repetitive noise gets on my nerves )
    She hums, very smooth, Love her, she capable of 130 stiches, 3 embroidery alphabets.
    She's a nicer machine, but when I use it , I enjoy it
    Hope this helps in your search, good luck.

....Bee
    The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡
    ~~~~Sewn By Bee