Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where Did I Go Wrong!?

Yesterday, I finished my first quilt, a patchwork pattern called "Vintage Ties" that I downloaded for free from MSQC and executed using Woolies II flannel 10" squares and yardage from the same family. I starched the flannel before cutting it because I'd been told that was necessary to work with flannel to help keep it from shredding. When I cut out my 5" square blocks and my 5"X10" blocks, I ran into trouble because I discovered the 10" flannel precut fabric wasn't always 10" or even always square, and when it was, in many cases plaid patterns were off-kilter. I ended up having to cut things down a bit to make them all square and my resulting 10" squares became 9" squares after sewing the blocks together with new 50-wt cotton thread. When the quilt top was done, I placed the backing and the batting on and pinned it with quilting safety pins, then tied each square with yarn and finished up binding the quilt. It looked pretty good. This morning I took it to the laundromat and washed it in their oversized washing machine with a commercial color grabber to prevent the dyes from running and ruining the quilt. So far, so good. But when the quilt finally came out of the dryer, a good 25% of the squares had shredded at the seams. I've just spent nearly 7 hours hand-stitching the shredded seams together and wondering why this happened. Any ideas?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Where Did I Go Wrong!?

I don't know but oh my you have my sympathies! What a lot of extra work to put in after washing, not to mention having to cut so much off to square them up. Hope someone hete has an answer. I'll have to remember this in the future if I am ever temted to use wool flannel precuts. The woolies selection out there is pretty nice so it's too bad this happened to you.

3. Thanks Mamazabakaka thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

After doing a little research...Woolies II Flannel 10" Squares by Bonnie Sullivan for Maywood Studios is 100% cotton flannel designed to look like wool. Flannel must be pre-washed on a warm or hot water temperature and high heat dry; it also means, 2-6 inches of shrinking will and could happen, so you should by extra to allow for the shrinkage and have enough to finish your project...

when I use cotton flannel, I buy yardage...it's easier to wash and I then cut my pieces.....it saves a lot of grief that way....
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

5. Thanks Mamazabakaka thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice! I always pre wash when I quilt and sew.

7. Thanks Mamazabakaka thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

the flannel is a considerably looser weave than most quilting cotton, and really needs a larger seam allowance. I prefer a good half inch with that stuff.

9. Thanks Mamazabakaka thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry you ran into so much trouble with this quilt, especially for your first quilt.

11. Thanks Mamazabakaka thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're right about that, ShirleyKnot. Some of my seam allowances were scant 1/4", if that.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1stQuilt77X43.15.25.09.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	118615 Apart from perhaps not having a large enough seam allowance for flannel (live and learn!), something came to me as I was sleeping and I woke right up at 2:30 this a.m. and said to myself, "I SHOULD HAVE USED PINKING SHEARS!" Perhaps that would have helped the edges of my blocks hold up better against the strain of washing... Next time...NEXT TIME!!! If I have the courage to try flannel again, I'll either use pinking shears or a pinking blade on my rotary cutter and I'll ensure that my seam allowances are MUCH larger. This whole first quilt has been quite the learning experience! Thanks, everyone, for your helpful comments!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is a beautiful quilt.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I use a lot of flannel in fall and winter, and I've used past year's issue of "Woolies". I never prewash precuts, including flannel. I do prewash flannel yard goods, particularly bright or dark colors. Everything I've been taught or read recommends 1/2" seam allowance for flannel, so I always do this. I also use my walking foot, even for piecing on flannel. I try not to use hot water, or the hottest dryer, just warm. Also watch the agitation in the washer: it's the agitation that tears them up. I usually use a delicate cycle, more soak and less agitation. I also tend to use big squares, etc rather than small pieces, but of course this is a personal choice. Mine have held up fine with hard use. I have on rare occasions had to repair a seam after washing, that was always a place where my seam allowance got a little wonky! Please don't give up on flannel, it just takes a slight amount of adjusting.