Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Couch rubbing the wall

I am wondering if any of you have had this problem and how you solved it. My couch rubs up against the wall and is making a spot on the wall and on the couch. It seems my family sits down so hard ( I think they run and jump on it) that it moves it closer and closer to the wall. I have tried wooden blocks notched out that my husband cut out to fit behind the legs but they didn't stay on the couch leg. I put a hard back book behind each leg that worked better but it doesn't look very good. The couch doesn't have a skirt on it . So what I put there will show.

I had an idea of making a cloth tube (sort of like the ones you use for air draft at a door) but I have no idea what to stuff it with and I am not sure if that would work either.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Teresa

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Couch rubbing the wall

you could stuff it with pool noodles, and then pin it to the top of the back of the couch. The noodles are foam, so they would not be hard against the wall, and maybe some flannel or fleece as the cover would be softer on the wall as well
    Dolores

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you could fold a quilt over the back? It would be pretty, and I'd think it would at least slow down the marking of the wall.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps you could yell at them to stop jumping against the couch.
    They make rubber cushions to keep furniture from scarring the floor, that might make it less likely to move when sat upon.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Teresa,
    No, I have never had the problem you are talking about. I have four children ( and 8 grankids ....although only 2 grandkids live near me ) and the only problem I ever had with the kids was that they were ALWAYS putting the cordless phone OR the Remote underneath the couch when they were lying on the couch watching TV. After looking for the remote several times, my DH Terry tied some fish line around the remote and then tied the fish line around the lamp that was on an end table between the two lazyboy chairs !
    I think the reason why I didn't have the problem you are talking about is that I had a table ( I think they call them sofa tables....not sure ) that went between the couch and the wall. That table was originally purchased when we lived in the first house, and the couch wasn't against the wall. In my current houuse I can re-arrange the furniture so that the table can either go between the wall and the sofa OR it can be right behind the sofa when the sofa isn't against a wall ( I have small things on that table, some photos, & other things I treasure.
    The Pool Noodles sound like a good idea.......
    You could ask them if they are "running and jumping " furniture, and if they say " No, of course we aren't " You might mention that you are going to set up a video camera in the living room to see who is doing it....that might stop them ! LOL ! ( just kidding ! )

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all, for your ideas
    Doloris: I love that idea. I think I'm going to try that.
    Angelia : The quilt idea is good also
    Claire: I have fussed until I can fuss no more they are going to plop down hard as they can (I have seen DH do it and he probably runs and jumps when I'm not looking) . Its like living in the house with a bunch of wild monkeys. I have hard wood and I have coaster things under the legs and they still manage to move the couch.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Red caboose: I'm cracking up laughing here so hard about the fishing line. BTW I have found if hubby makes me mad , I feel so much better not fussing , all I have to do is hide the remote .

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Take the legs off the couch.....it will no longer scootch.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming you have hard floors....

I think a combo of the pool noodle idea and an area rug that sits under the front legs of the couch would work. Furniture doesn't slide on carpet as easily.
    Donna

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

DH solved this problem by cutting two pieces of 2x4 the length needed from wall to couch leg (about 6 inches). We placed one behind each leg nearest the wall. Works great and no one can see them.
    Quote Originally Posted by TMP View Post
    I am wondering if any of you have had this problem and how you solved it. My couch rubs up against the wall and is making a spot on the wall and on the couch. It seems my family sits down so hard ( I think they run and jump on it) that it moves it closer and closer to the wall. I have tried wooden blocks notched out that my husband cut out to fit behind the legs but they didn't stay on the couch leg. I put a hard back book behind each leg that worked better but it doesn't look very good. The couch doesn't have a skirt on it . So what I put there will show.

I had an idea of making a cloth tube (sort of like the ones you use for air draft at a door) but I have no idea what to stuff it with and I am not sure if that would work either.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Teresa