Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation What have you purchased that you never use or would never buy again?

I recently returned from the AQS quilt show in Chattanooga. There were a lot of vendors demonstrating their products. I, personally, enjoy watching the demos cuz I learn new techniques. But being a newbie quilter I did not buy any of the gadgets cuz I wasn't sure if I'd use them (and believe me I have purchased lots of items that I no longer use and lots of magazines/books that I flipped thru once and put them on the shelf).

What is something that you've purchased that you have never/rarely used or felt it was a waste of your money?

Sheep Farmer by day........Quilter-in-Training by night
    The Farmmyfarm

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What have you purchased that you never use or would never buy again?

The June Tailor shape cut ruler. I just can't get used to it.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What have you purchased that you never use or would never buy again?

Wow, I love my June Taylor shape cut! Worst purchase the chalk pounce, just can not get a fine enough line that is easily visible.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Unlike Lorie I LOVE my June Tailor Shapecut and use it just about every time I do a binding. But I can understand how it could be a waste of money for some.

My gigantic embroidery hoop probably was the biggest waste of money. And, though it was received on a trade, the Altos cutting system . . . (thank you Cyndi) - and while I've used it a few times it is definitely NOT a favorite. I have many books and magazines and I'd give them to anyone who came by today with a moving truck - too many and I'll never go back and read any of them. Scrap bags of fabric have been a major weakness of mine and I have truly been taken many times by the ONE piece that grabs my eye and the rest is pretty much a waste. Any 45mm rotary cutter - just not my cup of tea. I have four or five (I think) and don't know why I ever bought another one. Love my 60mm Olfa self-locking cutter. Another waste of money for me - the June Tailor thread racks - anyone need one or two?

The BEST thing I ever bought - a Martelli cutting board.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

5. Thanks aqua-teal71 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, too bad I don't live closer to you, Sandy. I'd take some of those books off your hands.

I bought the chalk pounce kit and CAN"T use it!! I'm allergic!! Not a pretty sight to see when I first opened and used the pounce bag!! Me and the cats had a sneeze fest- I won when the eyes swelled shut.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My worst purchase was the chalk pounce. I just ended up with chalk everywhere, it is sitting in a drawer ......

I love my June Taylor shapecut ruler, too! I also love my 60mm Olfa rotary cutter, I have all the sizes but hardly ever use anything smaller.
    April

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have 5 different rotary cutters. I just CANNOT get comfortable with them. Love my scissors.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The Martelli 24" Strip Ruler. I bought it at sew expo, so at least I didn't pay an arm and a leg for it. I just can't get used to not seeing what is underneath! Maybe I'll give it another try some time...
    ...or not, since I have the Creative Grids Stripology ruler now - definitely one of the BEST purchases I've made

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have bought too many things that were a waste for me but a treasure for someone else. I bought the June Taylor Shape cut Ruler couldn't figure it out so gave it to a friend who could use it. Bought one of the Stilletos with the two prongs on them didn't like gave it away. Magazines and books bought them with good intentions gave them to a quilt guild for their auction. If I invest any kind of money into tools or gadgets it is Creative Grid Rulers. Sandy wish I lived closer as well. I would come by and go through your unwanted scraps and magazines.

11. Thanks Audrey Gerrits thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not I spent $24 plus shipping on stippling paper that a friend said I had to have to get myself warmed up for FMQ. I've bought other things that didn't work out,but the paper is the freshest in my memory.