Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What have you purchased that you never use or would never buy again?

I got rid of my thread racks as well. I prefer to keep mine in plastic storage containers. I have developed allergies. The thought of thread sitting out collecting dust on those things caused me to donate them. I had thread on them for a short time and then gave them up. I'd say there has been a lot of fabric purchased that I'll never use so off to donation some of that went. I have enough to last me more than one lifetime that's for sure. I have a lot of rulers that I've never used. I hold onto them, though. I know that if I get rid of them sooner or later I'll be wanting to use them. It wasn't much of an investment but I was disappointed in that seam ripper that has the eraser gadget on the end to remove those pesky threads from the seams. I don't think it's very effective and the ripper part broke. I have tons of notions in my sewing room. I'm sure if I took the time I'd come up with other stuff but those mentioned are off the top of my head. Digging deeper in my brain this morning ain't happenin'.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What have you purchased that you never use or would never buy again?

By the way, I use my Shapecut ruler all the time. It's awesome for cutting strips accurately and quickly. I can't imagine having to give it up. I also use the square up one. I bought one that cuts smaller increments, but I don't know that I've had to use it yet.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyCurious View Post
    I just got a The O'Lipfa Lip Edge Ruler, because I needed a longer one for my new 30x42" mat, and when placed against the edge of my mat, it isn't square! I mseasured both the mat and the ruler, and the lip edge is the culprit. The lip is uneven. Don't know if I can return it or not.
    I have many tools, but if they're expensive, I usually make my own. I've even invented a gadget or two. I will say with the hours I work, if any gadget saves me time, it's money well spent, even if I only use it once.
    I can't think of any I didn't like, but I'm sure I'll come across something eventually.
    Try just pushing in the black lip edge. If it has one; I have two and one (24 inches) has the black lip that moves a bit and the other(36 inches) has a lip that is formed as part of the ruler. I just love them.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Two years ago I bought the twister template at the quilt show in Santa Clara. I'm sure I will never use it.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I know most people like theirs, but I bought the bendable bright light and the darn thing could not provide adequate light or bend into the areas I needed. It was an expensive purchase sitting in the closet. I have also bought so many rulers I never use and magazines that I put on the shelf before I even look at them. I guess I am an easy sell.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lori63 View Post
    For me it's the Clover Desk needle threader, it worked the first time and I haven't been able to get it to work since. Maybe I should take it to the retreat and someone can show me what I'm doing wrong!
    Mine did the same thing-very disappointed.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Farmer View Post
    I want to add that I do have a Sizzix cutter machine that I use *sometimes* and when I bought it, I thought I'd be using that thing ALL THE TIME. First of all, you need to buy all the different dies to cut the different sizes or shapes that you want and that gets really expensive! I only bought one die - the 4-inch square - since I tend to cut a lot of 4-inchers. What I don't like is the wasted fabric- even though it's not much. But when I cut the 4-inch squares from, say, a layer cake, I have leftover skinny strips that I can toss into my scrap bag. With the die cutter, the leftover scraps are just that -scraps to toss into the trash.

Anyway, although I do like my Sizzix cutter, I just don't use it enough to justify the cost.

I got the Accuquilt die cutter as a gift after oohing and aahing over it. I do not use it as much as I should to justify the cost. And yes it does waste fabric. My granddaughter likes it though, so maybe when she is older she will inherit it!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I have 1 thread rack of older thread I am using up on odd jobs. I put the rest in drawers also. I have allergies also and the dust bothers them. When I realized how dusty my thread could get, I decided everything possible would be stored in closed containers.
    I have 2 old dressers for the fabric bits and tupperware type things on a shelf for other things like ribbon, thread, etc. I even kept the interfacing and batting in the plastic it came in to help keep it dust free. We live out and things get dusty so fast.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any gadget I don't use at all. Being on a budget teaches you to invest wisely. I only used the twister ruler for a couple of test twister blocks, then decided the technique wasted too much fabric. But as my twister ruler is just 6 1/2" square, I use it a lot for squaring blocks, so I'm not missing my money.

I also have dozens of magazines, but I don't consider them as wasted money either. They have provided me with hours of drooling and daydreaming, and even if I would never do all the patterns they show, they are very inspirational: for techniques, color combos, quilting patterns... It would be like crying over the $$$ spent in stash that will survive me

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

About a dozen different rotary cutters, hate them all. I'll stick with my good scissors. I am not in any hurry. Its a HOBBY.