Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Broken Needles

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Broken Needles

I am using a Juki 2010 with a Grace sr2 frame and a sure stitch regulator. I am on my 4th row of quilting and have already broken 8 needles. Sometimes the thread is still through the needle eye. It seems to be hitting something. I have checked the bobbin thread (had problem earlier) and it was fine. Rethreaded several times. The tip of the needle either breaks off cleanly or I find it bent in my fabric so I think it is hitting something metal and breaking. Can't seem to figure it out. Have been on You Tube and through my manual. Everything checks out. If this has been handled on an earlier post just point me in the right direction. The stitiching looks great before the needle breaks. I am satisified with this setup just don't want to use so many needles to get through a quilt. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Broken Needles

The other day I was researching thread and thread stands and came across mention of needle breakage I wasn't aware of. If your thread is occasionally snagging somewhere, possibly even on the spool itself, that added tension can break your needle. That's an easy thing to check your entire thread path. And try a thread holder to see if that particular thread spools off better that way.

Just adding that as general info in case it helps you or some passerby, I've no experience with that machine or stitch regulator. Do you hear it hit anything? Have you watched the workings slowly and without thread, just to see if the needle hits anything as it moves up and down?

3. Thanks Angela J thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Angela, are you using a spool or cone? If spool, check to make sure the thread isn't catching on the spool itself. How taut is your quilt on the frame (if too taut, I'm talking like a drum or bouncing a quarter off it, not good and could cause needle issues) and is there only about a 1/4" from the frame to the bed of the machine? Too fine of a needle can cause flexing, resulting in needle breakage, what size are you using. These are just a few things I've learned, there are others here more advanced that hopefully will hop on and add their comments.
    Last edited by Carrie J; September 20th, 2015 at 01:13 AM.
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

5. Thanks Angela J thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for both of your replies. Yes I am using a cone and the Juki 2010 has a thread holder and stand built in for cones while it also has a place for regular spools. I have checked the thread path often while I rethreaded several times just to make sure it was done correctly. It seems to be hitting something toward the three legs of my frame. I have decided to go buy a long level and check to make sure the frame is level all the way across. The carriage is traveling smoothly across the frame without jumping off path. I did put a new needle in once and had to re-do it because when I hand cranked the needle down to check it was hitting the FMQ foot and not the middle of it. It was very weird. I took my FMQ foot to check it and then redid the needle. This time it was dead center of the hole. Without the FMQ foot in it also didn't line up with the hole in the machine either and hit metal. When I redid everything it was okay. I am wondering if my foot is moving around at certain points. I also wonder why the needle could be inserted and tightened up and not be in the proper position. I have never had that happen before with my other Juki or any other machine I own. Like I said in my original post, I am happy to entertain any thoughts and solutions. I want to quilt this quilt so bad. It is my first time working with a frame and when it is not hitting something and breaking the needle it is running so smoothly.

I am using a 90/14 needle. When I stick my fingers under the take-up rail to the machine my fingers fit below just barely. I do have a couple of thread holders I purchased for my Brother machines and I will try using them instead of the built in one on the Juki. The youtube video says a finger distance is what I want under the quilt and I do not have it tight across the top there is some give.
    Last edited by Angela J; September 20th, 2015 at 03:40 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a longarm machine and the recommendation for needle size is no smaller than 16. I am currently using a 19. When you sew fast and move the machine as you do when quilting on a frame, the needle is under great stress to flex. With a smaller needle it might flex too much. Also, the make of needle is important, I know my straight stitch machine (very similar to Juki 2010) recommends only Organ needles because they are made of a hardened steel that can withstand the faster speeds without too much flex. I use Gros-Beckert needles only in my longarm, had it for 4 years and never broke a needle! Hope I didn't jinx myself by saying this!

8. Thanks Angela J thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I will purchase some higher numbered needles. I was using the organ needles which came with my machine with sew fine on my Juki 2000 which is on my table, but the Juki 2010 came with the same size needles and brand. But since it is on a frame and like you say there is greater stress on the needle. I hope this helps so I can continue quilting the quilt on my frame. I got so frustrated I started piecing another quilt to take my mind off the elephant in the room. Thanks again. Needles I will get today.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Angela I have a janome 1600 which is very similar to your Juki and the Brother 1500....the needle I use is an Organ HLx5 in a 90/14 or 100/16.... they are a heavier built needle designed specifically for these high speed machines....I get them at ctsusa.com for $25 for 100 in a sharp point or ballpoint with free shipping too. Also have you checked your bobbin tension... when I first put my 1600 on my Grace frame I had the same problem....the bobbin tension was too tight.

"May there always be work for your hands to do"

11. Thanks Angela J thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I checked the needles sent with my Juki 2010 and they are all Organ 90/14. Been breaking like potato chips. I am purchasing higher numbered needles. Ordered through Amazon and paid extra for next day delivery. I am so desperate. Thank you for taking the time to help. I really appreciate it. Hopefully the new needles will resolve my problem. Nice to know about CTUSA and their pricing. Thanks for that also.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Needles arrived from Amazon and I have been quilting up a storm. So far, no more broken needles. Thanks so much to all of you who helped me fix my problem. I learned a big lesson. Yeah!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

finished the practice quilt and with all broken needles and broken thread until I got the tension right I finished it. No one will ever see this quilt but my husband and I. I was doing loopy loops to gain control of quilt. there are circles, ovals, egg looking thingys and some weird object that shows up here and now. But I am still going to trim it and add binding and hide it under the covers. From a distance it really looks okay. Well maybe not quite okay. Even though I don't drink, I think I'll say I was drunk when I quilted it if anyone sees it!