WIP 9/15/15 Those were the days, my friend...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RockinLou
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2014

Re: WIP 9/15/15 Those were the days, my friend...

Sounds like fun Claire!! I'm getting my first grader to do her homework, putting the kids to bed, and then I'll work on that dress for the sew-along I'm running. I could get away with just attaching sleeves tonight, but I might take the time to get it a bit further along. I just want to get it cleared out so I can focus on my pumpkins ;-) they're so much more adorable.

Though I am shocked to report that when I put the bodice one my daughter to check sizing that she actually really loved the fabric and said she can't wait to wear it. Score!!

I have an abbreviated work week this week, with no work on Thursday (Kurban Eid), then work again on Friday... at least it is a little bit of a breather!

Happy Monday Folks!

Comment

• Sandy Navas
      Missouri Star
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Angelia View Post
      Good for you, Claire! She's going to be here in a couple of days, but I have to work (and I'm not great with crowds). Enjoy!

I graded some papers and took a loooooooooong nap today--no sewing.
      Not great with crowds and you close yourself up in a classroom with a buncha . . . hugs to you!!!!

Quit work and move to Hamilton!!!!
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• Sylvia H
        Missouri Star
        • May 2014

Claire H – I am always in a quandary when buying fabric with no project in mind. 3 charm packs? 4 charm packs? I hope you find what you need. Cathy F – painting used to be my most enjoyable remodeling project. But in my current home, I’m not so sure what will happen when repainting becomes a necessity. Hope all went well yesterday. Jen – those pups sure do take up a lot of time, house training and manners training, but it is so well worth it with years of a well behaved pet.

Sherri – LOVE those blocks! What a cool quilt they will make. Josephine – excellent work on your blocks. I wouldn’t judge on just a few blocks, although I am thinking they look very nice together. Pcbatiks – you know how we sometimes “add or change a design element to a quilt”? Well, I think the same sort of creativity and decision making should apply to the gifting (or not) of a quilt.

Juliet – what a lovely baby quilt. The colors are so pretty. Claire O – Terrific! I am sure you are enjoying the workshop! Carrie – some quilting and chatting – a great day.

Yesterday, I started working on the trapunto portion of a Halloween wall hanging. It is a panel, and I am putting the extra layer of batting under the pumpkins, witch, and other things throughout the panel. This is a technique I wanted to try, and it is a simple project for this practice. I hope to have it finished by the end of this week.
        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Amy R
          Missouri Star
          • Jun 2014

Today I learned how to thread a serger. I hope to never have to again LOL apparently you can just knot thread at the end before the new starts? That would be awesome... Turned on Maggie (the serger) and she is purring like a kitten and stitching the practice items like a good girl. This will add so much to my sewing life, and I will be using it for the top portion of the sachets so if it pops out when refilling it looks a little classier than a raw edge.
          So grateful for such a gift.
          Soph wants to go back outside, can't argue with that!! Will try to get some pics later.
          sigpicQuilter since 2013.

Comment

• RockinLou
            Missouri Star
            • Oct 2014

the best laid plans... my son has a fever and is staying home from school in the morning, so I am writing sub plans instead of sewing that dress

Comment

• Amy R
              Missouri Star
              • Jun 2014

thats a bummer Lou.

Comment

• Granny Fran
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2014

Ladies, what a weekend. So many projects and moving plans and remodeling and helping out with a website and deciding what colors to paint on the bus and everyone's projects are just singing along. WHEW, just catching up has me tired. lol

Showed DH the moving men and he shook his head as he walked away. He wouldn't put it past me to get out there and help either. Sandy, Leah....I know you could share. Amy, do you see a road trip ahead? Just looking would be worth it.

Uh, Sandy, how do you ever think you can downsize????? Maybe the firemen and 1-800-GOT JUNK?? Not that you have junk, mind you, just too much of everything. Be zen.....less is more, less is more, less is more.........
                No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                Aesop

Comment

• RockinLou
                  Missouri Star
                  • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Amy R View Post
                  thats a bummer Lou.
                  I'm actually hoping that I can run over to my room quickly, now that my sub plans are done, and come back and work on the dress. If I don't have to be out the door at 7:40, I can stay up a wee bit later than normal, right??

I live on campus, so it will be easy to run by my classroom now that my plans are done.

Comment

• pcbatiks
                    Missouri Star
                    • Mar 2012

Another question: Have any of you done raw edge applique with batiks? Does it hold up well after washing? Would it be the right choice in a home with 2 cats & a dog?

I'm planning to add an applique block to the batik quilt using batiks & I think raw edge would look good for this project. But, I've never tried it & wondering how it will hold up over time. Any first hand experience?
                    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

• Angelia
                      Missouri Star
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                      Not great with crowds and you close yourself up in a classroom with a buncha . . . hugs to you!!!!

Quit work and move to Hamilton!!!!
                      I know--it seems strange, but teaching a classroom full of students is a whole different dynamic for me. I also have no trouble speaking in front of large groups, but I don't like the mingling that follows!

Retiring would be nice, but we have this compulsion to eat every day.
                      Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

• Sonic
                        Missouri Star
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Granny Fran View Post

Showed DH the moving men and he shook his head as he walked away. He wouldn't put it past me to get out there and help either. Sandy, Leah....I know you could share.
                        Share??
                        Well I can't speak for Sandy, but I could possibly spare the scrawny one...
                        Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....:icon_noob:

Comment

• Amy R
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jun 2014

I just love coming here and reading this thread. I always have a smile on my face and a lot of time I'll start laughing and DH will look at me like I've lost it.

24 sachets are ready for their fill of yummy scent stuff.
                          I do have to admit I may be addicted to serging things... I have a patternless diy robe tutorial that is screaming for Maggie to work on.

LOL Fran, your navigator is always ready! Especially if there are dreamy firemen hauling boxes around.

I'm craving some quilting to do however so I'll see what I end up getting into.

Comment

• RockinLou
                            Missouri Star
                            • Oct 2014

I know--it seems strange, but teaching a classroom full of students is a whole different dynamic for me. I also have no trouble speaking in front of large groups, but I don't like the mingling that follows!

As an introverted teacher I can so relate to this! Classroom? No problem... Room of adults that I need to 'mingle' with? No thank you!! My work demands too much 'on' time for me!

In other news, I got my classroom ready for the sub and made a lot of headway on the dress project. Nothing on the pumpkins, but the dress is looking like a dress

Comment

• Sandy Navas
                              Missouri Star
                              • Dec 2010

I totally understand about mingling - not my cup of tea either.

Here's hoping for a windfall and early retirement with food allowance!!
                              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• Claire OneStitchAtATime
                                Missouri Star
                                • May 2014

Angelia, I'm exactly the same way -- and I think lots of other people in our line of work and suspect lots of other people who like to sew are too. Funny thing -- I told Bonnie Hunter at the workshop that I was an introvert, & she says she is too -- she's fine all day with quilty people but really values her alone time afterwards.
                                Sew -- I had a good time, learned some Bonnie Hunter tricks, met a lot of nice quilters, admired many beautiful quilt blocks and quilts and vintage Singers, and generally wore myself out.
                                Angelia, for homework, I'm assigning Susan Cain's book, "Quiet", for you, me and Bonnie. And maybe Sandy? It explains all about us people who are warm and friendly and have perfectly good social skills and strong relationships and yet find mingling tiring.

More when I have recuperated!

Comment

Working...
                                X