WIP 9/15/15 Those were the days, my friend...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amy R
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2014

WIP 9/15/15 Those were the days, my friend...

Oh how I miss the fall season in upstate NY. The crisp air, apple picking, smelling the scent of fresh apple cider and apple fritters. Picking fresh apples off the trees to make pies and or sauce. Watching the beautiful colors nature paints on the green leaves... reds, yellows, oranges...
    This is what I miss most about my "homeland". OH just doesn't quite capture it as well, however has become a pretty decent place to be.

Still feeling overwhelmed, but as I fell into dreamland last night I came up with a plan. Usually my sewing machine time is limited to an hour or two in the morning due to life and flat out exhaustion by evening. SO, I'm going to write all my want to dos on pieces of paper and have Sophie pick one out of a jar for me to work on that day. I think this may help tackle things one at a time and each morning it can be something different for an hour or two til eventually everything is done.

I'm sure this will work out a lot better than staring at the large pile, and closing the door from it.
    What beautiful works again last week ladies!
    sigpicQuilter since 2013.
  • Sandy Navas
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2010

Re: WIP 9/15/15 Those were the days, my friend...

Some days that's exactly how I feel, Amy! Close the door on it - but the ideas are still there and the project is still waiting tomorrow.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

• Cathy F
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2012

Amy- sounds like a very good plan and the variety will keep you moving along! Wish I could send you the smells of upstate in the fall. I was there this weekend and went to the apple orchard and into their bakery. The aroma of the cider doughnuts baking was absolutely delightful! I couldn't resist and ate one, but was very good and stopped at one! They've added a candy apple shack since I was there last year and all the kiddies that were at the orchard seemed to be enjoying them. I wanted to get some of my favorite McCoun apples but they didn't have any yet, they will start picking those this Thursday, so a day late and a dollar short so to speak. I did come home with mackintosh though. When I go back up in November for my quilt retreat I'll pick them up and maybe an apple pie for Thanksgiving. Besides all their apple pies they sell frozen ones too for the freezer.

Can't wait to see everyone's projects this week, happy sewing all!
      Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

Comment

• DeniseSm
        Missouri Star
        • Nov 2013

I will continue working on my Ripples quilt this week (aka Jinny Beyer's Echoes pattern done in blue and purple batiks.) I got all 1000 plus pieces cut out last week, and started piecing the first block this morning.

I am really feeling the pressure because my first corrective surgery to try and repair the nerve damage is scheduled for 9-23. If I had known I was going to have to have multiple surgeries and recovery times, I definitely would have picked something easier. To late now, I am in love with this quilt and will try to soldier through.

Afraid I won't be posting as much, but I will try to check in.
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• Angelia
          Missouri Star
          • Dec 2013

I swear, Amy, your titles for this thread--now I'm humming that song! At least it will replace the Mary Poppins songs I've been humming this week!

I'm supposed to have office hours today, but I'm staying home instead. Nothing pending, so I'll catch up on things here. Maybe some more Ohio Stars blocks--maybe a nap--maybe both!
          Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

• Amy R
            Missouri Star
            • Jun 2014

anchorcurtain.jpg
            Today was curtains. One set done will do the other set tomorrow. Need to switch around the hooks and take off some length. With the extra I'm going to make those little gather strip thingies. As you can tell I haven't made many lol.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Amy R; September 15, 2015, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• Carrie J
              Missouri Star
              • Aug 2014

Amy, man, talk about making ME homesick.....such fond memories of Upstate and the Fall Season!!!! The hustle and bustle of readying for Old Man Winter, but all the sights, scents and festivities of Fall! While I endure 90+ temps in Texas, LOL! Oh well, bloom where you're planted as they say! And an excellent idea to have Miss Sophie pick a "task-for-the-day"......be careful tho, LOL, she may be quite the task master!!

Claire, Ewww Macs, and Courtlands! Too hot here for pies as yet, am anxiously awaiting some colder temps, as I love to bake!!!

Angelia, sounds as tho you have a very good plan for the day. Wish the title of the thread could get "Set Fire To The Rain" out of MY head........talk about an ear worm!!! Think I'll play some Kentucky Headhunters......Dumas Walker ought a take care of it! HAH!

Denise 1000 pieces?!?! OH MY! I bow to your perseverance! Soldier thru as you say, but take care as well!!!! You may not be on much, but you'll be in our thoughts and Prayers for a quick recovery and speedy healing!

Sandy.....A-men!!

I am entering the day very slowly here. Simply enjoying the simple things that I seem to have to rush thru in a normal week. Looking forward to a clear head, and projects that have been pushed aside due to everyday constraints. Sometimes we just need to give ourselves permission to do so. I've even written myself an "excuse", LOL! Happy day y'all!
              What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Comment

• Granny Fran
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2014

Amy, the curtains came out great. Did you use Maggie on any of it? Watch out with Sophie, she can really hold your toes to the fire so to speak.

Denise, I hope this surgery will solve the problem. Nerve pain is the worst sort of pain in my book. I admire your getting all the pieces done ahead of time. I am sure it will come together beautifully.

Angelia, you go girl!!! I absolutely love the speed that you get things done. Nap time for this kid, too, this afternoon.

Cathy, you make me homesick for Fall in New Hampshire. Spectacular when we lived there. Maybe, just maybe, my apple tree will give us enough for one pie. lol

Sandy, Carrie, ladies you are so usually on the ball with your projects I can't believe you are taking a breather.

As for me, well, I had to have my brain tested all morning. Will get the results on the 22nd, but you know what...I don't think it will show any less brain then than I have right now. HaHaHa. Some memory and or aphasia problems, but probably brain fog from the fibro....who knows (or cares)?? Anyhoo, Doc thought it necessary and at least I will have baseline for future reference. In the meantime I have all of you to help out, right?

Happy quilting this week
                No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                Aesop

Comment

• Amy R
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jun 2014

Fran, no I didn't use her still trying to find a few minutes to rethread her. I did start her up the other day.
                  Fibro fog is horrible I think it slipped my mind to share my new friend Maggie the serger has joined my sewing endeavors kindly gifted by Fran. (Now you can tell your dd that you thinned your machine count down) lol.

Comment

• Altairss
                    Missouri Star
                    • May 2014

A bit under the weather but got another one of the baby quilts basted and have one more to go but just can't find anything that I like for the backing so this one I will need to go to the store for. I now have a big stack of quilts waiting to be quilting and that is a bit intimidating! I think I will feel better one they are done though.
                    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Comment

• Carrie J
                      Missouri Star
                      • Aug 2014

Hey Gals!

Amy, curtains turned out very cute. And I totally expect to hear tales of your new Boss, LOL!
                      Fran, LOL, I took a breather today to supervise...............yard, house, mechanic, electrician and HVAC guy! Between two folks here today and two tomorrow I'm whooped! So Hubs suggested Mexican food, who was I to deny his wish in that respect?
                      Sorry to hear about the testing and the Fibro, it can be such a debilitating chameleon-like disorder. With ET, I'm much the same as you, "who cares?"..........when it hits, it hits and I just have to let it run its course or it kicks my butt (it really is a PITA, no matter the disorder, ya know?) Sarcasm and humor are my armor, or genetics, not sure which. LOL!

Jacobs Ladder is all cut out, master block at hand and at the ready! Other than grocery shopping for the month, I'm good to play!
                      Last edited by Carrie J; September 15, 2015, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• alliek
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jul 2011

Amy, as a born and raised New Yorker I too miss the Fall up there. We have a fall here in VA, but it isn't the same. As Carries says"bloom where you are planted". It took me quite awhile to get used to where I live now, but now it feels like "home". I still love N.Y. and thankfully I might get to visit there at least once a year. The trip is getting "longer" the "older" we get, so I don't know. You will get it done. One day at a time. One chore at a time. God Bless.

Comment

• Angelia
                          Missouri Star
                          • Dec 2013

I got 72 2.5" hourglass blocks done for the Ohio Star. Those little blocks take a lot of time! Not including the fabric choice, I think there are twelve steps in making them. (Cut, pair up, draw diagonal line, sew, cut apart, press open, pair up, draw another diagonal, sew, cut apart, press open, trim.)
                          Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Comment

• Granny Fran
                            Missouri Star
                            • Apr 2014

Wow, all those blocks...Angelia, you inspire me.

I ordered a book from the FatQuarterShop called Fat Quarters Anonymous: Seven Step program for Fat Quarter Addicts.....it got my attention. Only one dollar (shipping USPS 2.95) I couldn't resist.. Between the labor day weekend and the twilight zone somewhere between Texas and Cincinnati (6 days) it finally arrived today.....Seven really interesting patterns and very good illustrated directions. The book is by Cozy Quilt Designs (Daniela Stout).

Now I'm squirreling again......HELP
                            No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                            Aesop

Comment

• Carrie J
                              Missouri Star
                              • Aug 2014

Fran beat us or join us.jpg

You're doomed!!! LOL!

Comment

Working...
                              X