Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WIP 9/15/15 Those were the days, my friend...

Oh my gosh Sandy, DH is the talky talky one here too. Many times I feel that things are super loud, more so than they really are and I have a hard time that.

Well, now that Mom's stuff was sewed she wants half of them mini sized. She's used to the cute little teeny tiney sachets from 30 years ago. Well honesltly tiny things are cuter usually.

Im going to throw myself onto the couch and hope to stay awake to watch Blindspot pilot episode. Eyes are at half mast so it'll be a fight.

Til tomorrow dear friends.
    Quilter since 2013.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Who knew! The bus to Nutty Acres will have lots of introverts!

Angelia, yes, it was Smith Mountain Morning. My blocks are super scrappy, because of my last minute fabric-gathering. Most people seemed to have a more cohesive fabric plan, e.g., similar shades of brown and turquoise, or red browns and mid-blues, or yellow and gray. There were some beautiful blocks and some very talented quilters. Mine have fabrics that "read" blue and brown & neutral but they are big prints so up close and all alone they look a little crazy. They grew on me as the day went on, though, and Bonnie kindly showed me mine from six feet away; the color scheme pops out from a distance, and I think when it gets to be a whole quilt it might really work. I love blue, so have lots of blue scraps, but not so much brown (although I did use some brown scraps Sandy sent me in Forum Mail, and thought of you, Sandy!) If I get enough alone time (and of course work time -- pesky day job, but I'm lucky to have it and it does keep the wolf from the door) between now and Thursday I could combine lunch with the forum retreat folks and a little brown fat quarter shopping in Hamilton. But since I just burned up a week day on quilting, we'll have to see if I can burn another one this week. Stamina isn't my strong point these days.

I guess in retrospect I wish Bonnie had talked more about how she chooses scraps that work together. The demos focused on rulers, not fabric choices. I did ask her if she thinks about it when she puts things together, and she said she tries not to -- just thinks of color families. But I think there may be more to it, and her color sense is one of the things I love about her work.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all - you all have been busy busy busy! Lovin' all of the squirreling and can't wait for the Nutty Acres bus to pick us all up to help Sandy pack for moving. Those firemen will keep us going!

No need to create our own logo - there is a Nutty Acres in a video game - we could use it (amazing what a google search will bring up!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NuttyAcres.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	118309

Claire, I am so jealous! I hope you had a wonderful time! I was supposed to go to a Bonnie Hunter workshop on Saturday in Missouri - about 4 hours or so from where I am in IL. I was getting a late start due to all of the storms and finally finished packing when the nurse from mom's assisted living facility called....she is ok now and they aren't sure what caused it, but she passed out and was unresponsive for 4 or 5 minutes, was gasping for breath and turned blue. By the time the paramedics arrived she was starting to come around and her oxygen level was back up. They gave her fluids at the hospital, ran several tests, scratched their heads and sent her home on Saturday.

Since I missed my class, dh and I went to the family lake house and I sewed on the 3 dudes with a twist and on my Sister's Choice (from my 1st Bonnie Hunter workshop). Machine sewed beautifully. Took the stuff with to practice a machine embroidery design, but forgot the hoop. Got home, tried to do the embroidery design and machine started acting up again. Cleaned it, changed needles, etc, etc, kept getting an error every 20-25 stitches or so. Took it to the shop today, repair guy didn't get to it today, so he took it with him, it will be back next Monday. So, I had to tell my niece that I couldn't do the shirt for her daughter's bday - I think I am more disappointed than she is!

Thanks for all the laughs - it took me quite awhile to catch up!
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	118311

Bad nighttime picture of a few blocks, my signed!!! copy of Bonnie's book, and a few batiks in the background just for Pam.

Lisa, that must have been scary. I'm glad your mom is feeling better.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I guess in retrospect I wish Bonnie had talked more about how she chooses scraps that work together. The demos focused on rulers, not fabric choices. I did ask her if she thinks about it when she puts things together, and she said she tries not to -- just thinks of color families. But I think there may be more to it, and her color sense is one of the things I love about her work.

I think that too often we overthink scrap quilts. By the time they are done, the overall effect is more than the sum of the parts. When I make string blocks, I often put fabrics next to each other that my eye tells me are wrong, but they always seem to work in the end. Maybe it's a little like a perfume maker adding just a hint of an offensive scent (they actually do that) to shape the overall effect.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Claire, did you get a chance to look at some of her quilts up close? I was amazed at all of the fabric patterns that are in them, but they sure work - her work is stunning. She likes to say if a fabric is still ugly, you haven't cut it up small enough!

Bonnie talks a lot about how she does fabric choices on Quilt Cam - she looks at the main color or how it reads from a few feet away and does not get hung up on scale or print. She will use anything from dreidels to Halloween to Christmas fabric together in a quilt as long as the color value is what she is looking for.

She will try to spread out the scale within blocks - especially if she is doing string blocks, so that she doesn't get all large scale or all small scale prints together - she likes to mix it up.

As you can tell, I am a big fan, but I still can't go completely scrappy the way she does, I am too OCD for that, but it has loosened me up.
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

well, I have a bodice, I have a skirt, and I have some bias cut fabric ready to be made into bias tape, so the dress is coming along. Poor Mr. B is still feverish this morning. I will be asking the nanny to come early tomorrow so that DH and I can both go to work, though I'd love a limitless number of sick days and magically simple sub plans flowing in... hem... tempting to get a video from the library for my 13 yr. olds, knowing I already have one on the back burner for my 12s... maybe I will call in tomorrow too.... then my dress and the pumpkins would be all set! Though after last year's bout with pneumonia, I'm always reluctant to "throw away" sick days.

Mr. B is enjoying his first introduction to "Aladdin" while eating apples and drinking water on the couch. He is, of course, cuddled up under a quilt that I made. That aught to cure they mysterious no-symptoms added fever that he has come down with....

Claire, I really enjoy watching Bonnie Hunter on Quilt Cam, but the only month of the year I'm home is the month she takes off, so I'm sure I'll never get to a course. I can believe that she tries not to overthink her fabric choices, she seems pretty quick to make a decision when she is pulling from her scraps on Quilt Cam. I kind of wish I could do that, but I have almost no stash to speak of, so it will not happen any time soon!

The blocks you made look lovely, I bet they will work into a fantastic quilt!

Lisa, good find on the Nutty Acres game.... we can all get together and feel no pressure to actually socialize, knowing we are a crowd of introverts.

I will need to put "Quiet" on my reading list!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    But why does HIS interaction ALWAYS have to be during MY quiet time??? Hmmmmmmmmm?
    I hope you are not trying to have quiet time as you are traveling to quilt stores! For me, quiet time ends up being when I am at home, and I can hide or ignore any interruptions. The phrase, "I vant to be alone", may be helpful.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lisa, sorry to hear about your mom's scary episode.

Claire, those blocks are really pretty! love the blues and browns together!

I did stay up to watch Blindspot... anyone else watch it?

Today I'll probably cut some of the sachets in half and see if they'll work. Sigh. Then I'm taking a break from them and doing something else. I'll have Soph pick a paper... twice she's picked her own quilt lol.
    Quilter since 2013.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

RockinLou -- oh, we'll socialize, in small groups, and probably talk our heads off. We just won't throw a cocktail party where everyone has to mingle!

Thank you for the scrappy support & feedback, everyone, Lisa especially. I would love to break my dependence on two & three fabric quilts & kits!