Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WIP 9/15/15 Those were the days, my friend...

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Fran View Post

Showed DH the moving men and he shook his head as he walked away. He wouldn't put it past me to get out there and help either. Sandy, Leah....I know you could share.
    Share??
    Well I can't speak for Sandy, but I could possibly spare the scrawny one...
    Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just love coming here and reading this thread. I always have a smile on my face and a lot of time I'll start laughing and DH will look at me like I've lost it.

24 sachets are ready for their fill of yummy scent stuff.
    I do have to admit I may be addicted to serging things... I have a patternless diy robe tutorial that is screaming for Maggie to work on.

LOL Fran, your navigator is always ready! Especially if there are dreamy firemen hauling boxes around.

I'm craving some quilting to do however so I'll see what I end up getting into.
    Quilter since 2013.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angelia View Post
    I know--it seems strange, but teaching a classroom full of students is a whole different dynamic for me. I also have no trouble speaking in front of large groups, but I don't like the mingling that follows!

Retiring would be nice, but we have this compulsion to eat every day.
    As an introverted teacher I can so relate to this! Classroom? No problem... Room of adults that I need to 'mingle' with? No thank you!! My work demands too much 'on' time for me!

In other news, I got my classroom ready for the sub and made a lot of headway on the dress project. Nothing on the pumpkins, but the dress is looking like a dress

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I know--it seems strange, but teaching a classroom full of students is a whole different dynamic for me. I also have no trouble speaking in front of large groups, but I don't like the mingling that follows!

I totally understand about mingling - not my cup of tea either.

Here's hoping for a windfall and early retirement with food allowance!!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Angelia, I'm exactly the same way -- and I think lots of other people in our line of work and suspect lots of other people who like to sew are too. Funny thing -- I told Bonnie Hunter at the workshop that I was an introvert, & she says she is too -- she's fine all day with quilty people but really values her alone time afterwards.
    Sew -- I had a good time, learned some Bonnie Hunter tricks, met a lot of nice quilters, admired many beautiful quilt blocks and quilts and vintage Singers, and generally wore myself out.
    Angelia, for homework, I'm assigning Susan Cain's book, "Quiet", for you, me and Bonnie. And maybe Sandy? It explains all about us people who are warm and friendly and have perfectly good social skills and strong relationships and yet find mingling tiring.

More when I have recuperated!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you had a good time Claire.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RockinLou View Post
    As an introverted teacher I can so relate to this! Classroom? No problem... Room of adults that I need to 'mingle' with? No thank you!!....
    As another introvert-teacher, I totally understand your comment and Angelia's. But I always felt that if you were exhausted after a day of teaching, that meant that you gave it your all and did the best job you could do.

But let's not forget the plight of the extroverts as well. An extrovert must have interaction with others in order to process their thoughts. They get their mental energy from such interaction, whereas introverts need their alone time for processing.

Editing to add a comment to Claire O's post - mingling is tiring to introverts because it is all surface conversation, and introverts prefer to discuss topics in depth. It is said that introverts know a great deal about a few topics, and extroverts know a few things about a great many topics.
    Last edited by Sylvia H; September 21st, 2015 at 09:35 PM.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire OneStitchAtATime View Post
    Angelia, I'm exactly the same way -- and I think lots of other people in our line of work and suspect lots of other people who like to sew are too. Funny thing -- I told Bonnie Hunter at the workshop that I was an introvert, & she says she is too -- she's fine all day with quilty people but really values her alone time afterwards.
    Sew -- I had a good time, learned some Bonnie Hunter tricks, met a lot of nice quilters, admired many beautiful quilt blocks and quilts and vintage Singers, and generally wore myself out.
    Angelia, for homework, I'm assigning Susan Cain's book, "Quiet", for you, me and Bonnie. And maybe Sandy? It explains all about us people who are warm and friendly and have perfectly good social skills and strong relationships and yet find mingling tiring.

More when I have recuperated!

We are SEW jealous of your day!!!!!!!

I'll have to find the "Quiet" book! (On the road today for over 200 miles with DH who is very out-going and my personal 'Chatty Cathy'. While in the quilt shop they mentioned someone was having problems with one of the computer programs that he knows inside out and upside down. He offered to help [solved their problem] and they were praising him . . . I had to tell them "wait until you take a road trip with him")

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia H View Post
    As another introvert-teacher, I totally understand your comment and Angelia's. But I always felt that if you were exhausted after a day of teaching, that meant that you gave it your all and did the best job you could do.

But let's not forget the plight of the extroverts as well. An extrovert must have interaction with others in order to process their thoughts. They get their mental energy from such interaction, whereas introverts need their alone time for processing.
    But why does HIS interaction ALWAYS have to be during MY quiet time??? Hmmmmmmmmm?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I read and loved Quiet. There seem to be a bunch of us here.

I'm glad you enjoyed the class, Claire--were they Smith Mountain Morning blocks that the group worked on?
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com