Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sinterklaas can quilt

On the evening of December 5th, The Netherlands and Belgium celebrate the birthday of Sinterklaas (SantaClaus or Saint Nicolas). Now I am sure that that old Spanish dude can quilt and make a beautiful blanket for each of my children.

But just to be sure, I made one for my son in his name. I'll place it on top of my son's shoe which will be by the fireplace for the occasion when Sinterklaas is in our country, 3 weeks before December 5th.
    Yes, the fireplace. Because black Pete slides through the chimney and he will put gingerbread cookies in children's shoes if they haven't been naughty. So by the fireplace is the best place to put them, or the whole house will be filthy because of the ashes and footprints.

By placing the quilt on my son's shoe, black Pete knows that he is allowed to take it along with him to Lock MarzipanStein, wrap it up and bring it back to my son on Presents-Evening. I don't mind that Sinterklaas will get all the credits, because the result is the same: my son will have a cozy, incredibly soft blanket that says on the backside: For Justin, Your own little Patch of Heaven Oct 2011.

I used one Minkee brights charmpack and half a yard of Valarie Wells Urban Flannels - Circles by Freespirit Fabrics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	justin's quilt web.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	10484

p.s. we don't have a fireplace or a chimney but modern Sinterklaas lets us put our shoes by the heatingpanel or what's it called. No questions asked

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sinterklaas can quilt

How wonderful is that? Congratulations, I'm sure he will enjoy it! Hugs, Jan L.
    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Your son will Love it! I loved the story. Thanks for sharing your tradition!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a wonderful tradition. Where would Santa Claus be without Moms? Love your little Minkee quilt...your sone will really love it. Thanks for sharing...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

we celebrate Santa Claus or Niklosdag here in Luxembourg too. A very nice day for all the children around this part of Europe.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I too loved your little story. Thanks for sharing it wish us. And the quilt will be cherished for years to come.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone !

Mamaquilt thank you for pointing out that Luxembourg celebrates Niklosdag too, I didn't know that

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Aloha/Hallo Marl, Ik woon in Makaha Valley in Hawaii nu, maar woonde in Amsterdam.

After being back in the States since '74, we still celebrate Sinterklaas on December 5. Complete with Surprises and Poems. We do shorten the shoe by the fireplace period...lol. We start the day after Thanksgiving, when our own daughter was two (she's 27 now), then the same when our oldest grandson was two.

Amsterdam will always be home since that's where I grew up as a child and did my schooling. Plus besides my hubby, daugher, son-in-lay and two grandsons, all my family is in Holland. In a couple of weeks, my dad and step-mother will be visiting for a month. His birthday is Dec. 3rd so we will have two celebrations close together. Been working on my present and poem to him this last week. Such fun. The only bad thing is that there is no Dutch store on the island, the daugher will have to do my shopping in Calif and ship it to me. But the tradition will have to continue, even if we are now in the middle of the ocean.

Love your quilt and nice to see that the is another quilter from Holland, there are a couple of others on here as well. Be on the look out for them.

Tot ziens, Ruby
    Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

9. Thanks Marl thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wat reuze leuk! Nog iemand die hollands praat!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ja en ik krijg de Margriet en Libelle elke twee maanden ook nog! Zal ik ze door sturen?
    Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby