Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default What fabric to use to set Grandmothers hand appliqued doll blocks together with

Need some expert advice . I cleaned out my cedar chest from my Mom's house this weekend and found a little long lost treasure. The quilt blocks in the photo were hand made by my Granny. I'm guessing these were just leftovers because she made both my sister and I quilts before she passed away. This may explain why the colors don't exactly match. I was thinking that maybe I could take these leftovers and set the together and make a small throw size quilt. Kind of set together in an over-sized 9 patch pattern maybe. The blocks are surprisingly large -- approx 18" X 24". But -- here's where I need help --- they are so different I'm not sure what to set them together with. Should I use a solid color or print and could you suggest a color? I have 2 pink ones, 1 red, 1 navy and 1 yellow. Three of them (pink, navy, and yellow) have some gingham print. I would like to do something that will compliment her work and not take away from the doll blocks. Can it even be done? Or if someone has another idea, I would love to hear it as well. I am just so excited by this find and really want to do something with them so they are not just sitting in a box or chest. Thanks in advance for your help! StaceyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DollQuil.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	117396
    Last edited by StaceyR; September 7th, 2015 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Forgot to attach picture

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What fabric to use to set Grandmothers hand appliqued doll blocks together with

Your photo didn't attach

3. Thanks StaceyR thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What fabric to use to set Grandmothers hand appliqued doll blocks together with

I think I've got it attached now.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Stacey, I'd make those blocks the central and focal point of the quilt and build around it. I'd look for a small print with those colors in the print or a combo thereof. If you can't get all those in colors in a print, it will still frame the blocks and deceive the eye somewhat Place a small 1 1/2 stop border around the inset blocks and add another pattern to frame it all out. Maybe pinwheels, geese, etc. Something traditional. That way it could be a tad bigger in width and length and you're good. What a treasure to find these!
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

6. Thanks StaceyR thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

The blocks are surprisingly large -- approx 18" X 24"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So using those blocks, you'd roughly have a quilt with a 1.5 stop border (cream or white), then a 3" finish border (out of your inner material) it would finish out approximately 56x71. Nice sized lap quilt and your done!
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

9. Thanks StaceyR thanked for this post
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

So, Please forgive me but I am very new to this, you would set the blocks together and then place a 1.5 border around the outer edge as opposed to in between the blocks, correct? Then a second 3" border outside of the white one. 56" X 71" is a perfect lap or throw size. I am so excited. Can't believe that these had been tucked away all this time!!

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

I love your treasures... I think I would frame each one separately , then arrange them with a back ground between each block. Finish off this arrangement with another larger border. Wish I could draw out a picture here so you could actually know what I am talking about.

Whatever you decide to do, I am sure it will be beautiful and wonderful to share with everyone.

12. Thanks Blondie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely use one of the 30's collections of fabrics. Most likely sash them all with the same color probably a solid (30's color solid) and do the in between blocks the 30's prints. They are gorgeous.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you decide to do? You have plenty of options....you could make it scrappy fenc rail to build with your Granny's blocks, or a curved log cabin.....here's a jelly roll to consider!!!!!

Whatever you decide...keep it simple and a "clean" design...nothing to flamboyant!

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...park-25-strips
    Last edited by shermur; September 7th, 2015 at 07:42 AM.
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!