Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you manage your stash?

Being new to this obsession. I am having a hard time managing my stash. I am currently using zip-lock baggies in multiple sizes and sorting them by color and size (small, extra small...)

Specifically,
    how small is too small to save scraps of fabric?
    What is the best way to organize the scraps?
    Do you usually order more fabric than the pattern call for? for example round up the yardage?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Michelle

2. Thanks rmariee06 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you manage your stash?

If you get out of control like ME)) these bookcases from Ikea are wonderful)))Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slide view of book shelves.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	117138
    Because the shelves are only 8" deep,, they take up very little space in the room..they are called "Billy" and come in a lot of sizes..
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

4. Thanks Mavis 63 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

GrammaBabs, is the fabric folded, or wrapped around something stiff? Do you keep edge of quilt trimmings, little bits and dabs? In bags? Do you all keep the quilted edges that you trim off before putting the binding on, and do you un-sew the backing from the batting and store them separately?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Grammababs wow so neat ..?want to come and oranize me??lol

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Right now mine is stored in tubs. I do have ziplock bags with strips of fabric for a string quilt. I generally don't save them if they are smaller than a couple inches. I need to get more organized too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I keep mine in pantry cupboards that I got at Target. They are 5 ft tall. I have three plus several shorter ones.
    I have a pretty big stash so my cupboards are very full!

I do keep scraps but try to limit it to three plastics bins. I don't keep really small pieces.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	117140  
    April

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

)
    Just ask Sandy what a mess my sewing room WAS... i think my Album shows somewhere!!!
    I bought 300 comic book boards.. and folded in 4ths lengthwise then "boarded them"... secure with masking tape...
    I am proud to say that when i finished i had NO boards left and now have at least 100 "empty"... seeing it all makes me want to create!
    NO, i am not a perfectionist,, far from it,, but i LOVE the fun of creating... good or bad, i make it work...
    Now if only i could STOP adding to it... LOL
    I'm 68 and decided i don't want to have my kids find homes for all this stuff...)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

OOOOOOOOO,,,, love your "cupboards".... makes ya' want to sew, sew, sew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingRN View Post
    I keep mine in pantry cupboards that I got at Target. They are 5 ft tall. I have three plus several shorter ones.
    I have a pretty big stash so my cupboards are very full!

I do keep scraps but try to limit it to three plastics bins. I don't keep really small pieces.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Michelle, good question(s), and one that will change personally for you as you add to your stash. For many months I saved EVERY scrap of fabric. No more, lol! Now I cut leftovers into 1 1/2, 2 1/2, 5 inches squares. The rest, I leave in yardage amounts from FQ sizes and up. Wrap on boards (get the poster stock from Dollar store, the kind that's actually plastic and cut to size) In answer to your question about additional yardage, yes I buy anywhere from 1 yard to 4 yards over what I actually need. If I am especially taken with the fabric, more! On whites, creams, black, navy, green (blender) I buy bolts. You will go thru (or I do) those colors like crazy. They stay in my closet upright on a shelves. Anything else I keep in an old 4 drawer bureau I repurposed, makes for a nice little top to put a smaller mat on. There will be a lot of fluxing and morphing as you go along. Hope this helped you somewhat! And Babs, IF I was that dadgum organized, they'd send the "white coats" after me! I bow to your organizational skill set! April, ewww, great idea, like that a LOT!
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

12. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I seldom have enough of a stash to worry about it. What I have fits in a couple of tubs.