Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Iron

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best Iron

Quote Originally Posted by bhaggerty View Post
    If it is the Oreck one, it is a piece o junk!
    Love my Oreck vacuum, but they do not make good irons!'
    I threw mine in the trash years ago.
    have used Rowenta since, but am considering a Panasonic Cordless due to the rave reviews on this forum!
    DITTO! The so-called non-stick sole plate sticks to cotton fabric. Oreck irons are USELESS for a quilter!!!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear this. My husband just won this iron in a shop hop. I don't think he'll be using it so I think I'll have a new iron.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iris Girl View Post
    Panasonic cordless hands down.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the yellow Oliso and love it. I love that it has a 30 minute auto shut-off (longer than the blue one). Mostly I love it because he do your pressing and then just move it to the side and it automatically lifts up. No having to put it on its end or tipping over. But, you all have me curious now about the Panasonic cordless. For those that have the Panasonic, is it a pain having to place it in its base constantly after pressing? I saw the most recent tutorial of Man Sewing and he had to keep putting this iron on its base. Looked awkward and a pain to me. What do you guys think?
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am curious about that, too. How long does it stay on before auto cut off?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

No harder to put this iron in its base when your done pressing then it is to sit an iron on its end at the end of sewing. as for auto shut off its never an issue. It heats up very quickly if it goes off between pressing sessions. I rarely have that happen though as i sew, press sew, press. I love it. No more cords to trip or iron over.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Loooove my Panasonic cordless. It's light, maneuverable, and a joy. I need things that make quilting easier, and this certainly does. I'd recommend it over any other iron at this point. I wanted an Oliso, but it's too big and heavy for me and ...has a cord. I also love love love having a case for my iron!

I had cleaned up my mothers old B&D iron from the 80s, it still works great. It was a bear to clean, and part of the plastic housing is broken off (not a dangerous spot), but it's heavy and the cord kept attacking me. I splurged on the Panasonic and am so glad I did. The old one I'll use for sticky and messy jobs so I don't goop up my new iron. I wanted so much to frugal and practical, and yes old and vintages irons can be awesome, but in the end I decided the convenience of a lightweight cordless won.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mom had an Oreck and I used it for my first quilt. After that, I sent it home with Mike and had him bring my B&D back over. I used it until it died. That's when I got the Oslio. I loved my son's face when he went in to iron his shirt with it.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amartin24 View Post
    I have the yellow Oliso and love it. I love that it has a 30 minute auto shut-off (longer than the blue one). Mostly I love it because he do your pressing and then just move it to the side and it automatically lifts up. No having to put it on its end or tipping over. But, you all have me curious now about the Panasonic cordless. For those that have the Panasonic, is it a pain having to place it in its base constantly after pressing? I saw the most recent tutorial of Man Sewing and he had to keep putting this iron on its base. Looked awkward and a pain to me. What do you guys think?
    It's not awkward at all. I don't have to think about hitting the board and tipping yet another iron over because I have it set on a shelf next to my ironing board. And the cord is retractable, easy to take to classes. Can't say enough good things about the Panasonic, haven't found one con yet - will put it on forum if that ever happens!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely not awkward. It's just a small movement to place it in the base, much less effort than lifting the whole iron up on its end. I think on videos they often have the Panasonic base in an awkward place because they're trying to fit everything into camera view and not have a cluttered squashed mess, and they might not have a convenient outlet. They often look like they're reaching all the way across the table to put the iron down. Mine sits just to my right, it's such a swift move to put the iron back.