Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: FMQ - stopping

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default FMQ - stopping

I'm having an awful job of stopping where I want to. I pick my foot up off the pedal, sometimes the machine runs for another stitch and sometimes it stops dead. I had the same problem with a Brother 1500 and now with the Juki. These machines are mechanical. They should stop needle down when no pressure on foot pedal.

There's no length on the stitch, no feed dogs, and no pressure on the foot.

I'll stop to move hands, and the needle stops, then moves again and since I've picked up my hands, the needle goes wherever.

Is there some kind of delay in the circuitry that makes the machine finish off a stitch in its own way? Does the takeup lever need to be in the top position when machine stops? Maybe for needle up/needle down button?

I can probably adjust by waiting a second, but I want to know why. I've had old mechanicals that just stopped dead when foot off foot pedal.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FMQ - stopping

I tend to stop a few stitches before so that I am sure I will not run over. I have not had the problem you mention, but maybe I hesitate for that moment and have not noticed. If I did not go far enough, I just do another stitch or two for what I need. I am sure someone will be along with a much better answer.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what to tell you. My Juki 2010 stops needle down as soon as I take my foot off the pedal.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My Juki stops immediately if piecing, it only does this in FMQ.
    That's why I'm wondering about needle up/needle down. Old mechanicals didn't have this. You used the flywheel.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you have your machine in the needle down mode, it should stop in place. However, with my old machine, it made one extra hop/stitch, so I had to be prepared for that & not let go of the quilt sandwich until it totally stopped. I think you'll just have to work with it b/c that's how your machine functions. Just remember to not lift your hands too soon.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    If you have your machine in the needle down mode, it should stop in place. However, with my old machine, it made one extra hop/stitch, so I had to be prepared for that & not let go of the quilt sandwich until it totally stopped. I think you'll just have to work with it b/c that's how your machine functions. Just remember to not lift your hands too soon.
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have this problem with my Memory Craft 9000, and here is what causes it. My machine has a digital screen with a computer inside. A computer likes to be shut down the right way. If I just flip the off switch to turn it off, my foot pedal the next time I sew actually can take several slow stitches before it stops. If I hit the menu back button to the very start up screen then I do not have that problem. I cannot vouch for you machine but that is what causes mine to do it.