Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aussie visitor - tourist questions

I am a fairly newbie quilter but addicted! I have convinced my husband to visit USA and go to Houston for Quilt show (he can go to Space Center) and then visit MSQC. We have a week or so around Missouri and neighbouring states. We have no autumn where I live (Brisbane) so would love to see leaves. Any ideas on local sights/towns and also where is good for Halloween? I was looking at log cabin resort places around Branson. many thanks

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Aussie visitor - tourist questions

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7109cd25bc367ef435b5aaec1f8083f5.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	113261
    Hello and Welcome to the MSQC forum! I can be of NO help to you in that part of our country, BUT you will be getting loads of help from others here who do live in Missouri and Texas. Depending on the time schedule of your visit, there is a MSQC forum gathering in the fall. I would imagine Branson would also be lovely in the fall.
    Please be sure and come back here to the forum and get to know us better. We are about the bestest and happiest and friendlinest quilty group of people there are.

Blessings from North Carolina, USA
    Blondie
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

3. Thanks AussieMicky thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome to the forum. I had the chance to go to the Houston Quilt show a few years ago and loved it. If you are seriously planning to go........I would check into hotel arrangements now. It is a huge show and the hotels fill up fast. If you want to stay across the street from the show........check out Hilton Americas. Here's the site for the international shows.

Quilts, Inc. - Home
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

5. Thanks AussieMicky thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Aussie visitor - tourist questions

Hello and weicome to the forum, this s a grate place to learn. These lovely ladies and gentlemen are very talented and knowledgeable about quilting . They have beem helpful to me and supportive on my projects ,which I appreciate.

You are wanting to know about fall,the leaves begin turning around Late Sept. - Oct.- earlyNov. Realy depends on how much rain we get as to how long the leaves hange on. If it stays dry for a spell they don't last as long. At this rate of wetness we are having fall should be beautiful for a while.(we have had alot)

I 'm in Alabama bu my BF lives in Mo.
    We get alot of the same weather.

Lots to see , I want to come see the M* too, hope you enjoy you visit to USA.

....Bee
    The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡
    ~~~~Sewn By Bee

7. Thanks AussieMicky thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think the fall colors probably are most spectacular in the New England states. Maybe people from that area can chip in. I don't know how widely you plan to travel, so don't know if that is an option for you.

Welcome from Colorado.

9. Thanks AussieMicky thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

hello and welcome to the forum from Massachusetts.
    Joan

11. Thanks AussieMicky thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! I do agree that New England is the place if you want to see leaves I don't know if your time/budget will allow, but it would be worth a side trip. You'd want to book a place to stay now, you'll be hard pressed to find lodgings if you wait.
    There are websites that will tell you the approximate peak time for colors in New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, etc.

13. Thanks AussieMicky thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Being someone who loves fall color, (and lives in Florida where there is NONE) I would think that by the time you are here, late October, early November, your best chance at seeing beautiful color is in the southern states. Generally speaking, the farther north you are, the earlier the color peaks. I was in Vermont the first week of October last year and it was nearly past. Usually the third week of October is considered peak in the North Carolina mountains. I think you will be at a good time to travel between Houston and Hamilton!

Here's a few different maps for you to check out!

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...&hsimp=yhs-001

Hope you have a great time!
    Donna

15. Thanks AussieMicky thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have family that lives in Southern Missouri. I've been there many times around Halloween and the trees are gorgeous in Northern Ark. and Southern Missouri at that time of the year. Brandon is beautiful also. Enjoy your trip.

17. Thanks AussieMicky thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was curious about things to do in Missouri. I found this link. It looks like you can plan a whole lot around Halloween. You could even go on hay rides, or visit historical haunted places. Here is the link Missouri Travel Vacation and Recreation Guide

Some states you can send away for a book and it lists events with dates in the zone you will be visiting. I couldn't find that. I guess this is a thing of the past with the internet at our fingertips. I have heard Houston quilt festival is huge and chocked full of lots to see. There are neat museums in Houston so if your husband gets bored there may be something else he can go do within walking distance.

19. Thanks AussieMicky thanked for this post