Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Have you ever had....

Baked potatoes are great, but I like nothing better than roasted potatoes. Cut them into pieces, coat with olive oil, add some seasonings (and SALT), and roast at 375 - 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. My absolute favorite. I make a big batch and then refrigerate the extras for later. I know the reheated are not as good, but as I live alone, it does save time and electricity to do it this way.

I have been reading about the good taste of freshly harvested potatoes. The best I can do is to get them from a local vegetable stand, and honestly, I could not tell the difference. Will a few days make a difference in taste? Or maybe my taste-ometer is not working very well (and that is a good possibility).
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Someone I know likes to eat potatoes raw. Potatoes are very good for you. I had fully loaded baked potatoes a week ago for supper. Potato, onion, bacon, cheese, sour cream, butter, salt and pepper. MMMMMMmmmmmmmm

Potato chips are my weakness.

Gosh I think I am drooling.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    My aunt and uncle had a farm. They stored the potatoes under the house to keep them cool. We always referred to them as "Aunt Meta's Potatoes." They actually tasted like something, unlike the store bought potatoes that we were used to. Her potato salad was the best. Of course it included home canned pickles, home grown onions, fresh laid eggs, etc. I know she served potatoes other ways, but honestly, that potato salad is all I can remember.
    I know, right?
    It's like parsley... you have no idea it actually has a wonderful flavor until it's home grown! Not a variety made to be shipped across the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowCockatiel View Post
    I don't usually dig up my potatoes until mid September/October.

I plant mine in buckets so that I know I got all of the potatoes. One year I missed 2 and they grew into plants the follow spring!
    LOL, I've done that and had them produce the following year!...and I have potatoes in lots of places now.
    I start pulling them up now but only as I need them. Because I grow so many I find trying to get them all at once a daunting task.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia H View Post
    Baked potatoes are great, but I like nothing better than roasted potatoes. Cut them into pieces, coat with olive oil, add some seasonings (and SALT), and roast at 375 - 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. My absolute favorite. I make a big batch and then refrigerate the extras for later. I know the reheated are not as good, but as I live alone, it does save time and electricity to do it this way.

I have been reading about the good taste of freshly harvested potatoes. The best I can do is to get them from a local vegetable stand, and honestly, I could not tell the difference. Will a few days make a difference in taste? Or maybe my taste-ometer is not working very well (and that is a good possibility).
    I think the variety makes a big difference. There are literally hundreds of them.
    I've tried 8 or 10 different ones and can tell you that russets, while they did grow for me, did Not impress me what-so-ever.
    And I can tell you not every single person selling at a Farmer's Market grows all of their own stuff.
    Not accusing your Market person of anything devious, just that it can be common place to "get in" things a person can't or does not want to grow.

Yukon Golds, Kennebecks, Reds, and Blues all do well here. And one thing I really like is that I've been growing from the same sets for years. I originally bought special starts, but since then I save over my own from year to year and I know they are as organic and natural as they get. Healthy soils amended with compost helps too as does the growing technique. (I hill up in mulch and compost, not dirt)

Good potatoes are a world of difference in flavor compared to grocery store and unbeknownst to many, potatoes are on the "dirty list" of produce with the highest pesticides and chemicals. They are sprayed for potato beetles on top plus the soils are treated for all kinds of nasty things. Home farmers don't have any problems beyond the beetles on the leaves and simple soapy water does the trick (if it's even needed.)

Sorry, can ya tell I love home grown spuds??
    Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh.... Yes I have... with fresh eggs and tomatoes, and onions... Indeed.

All the generations before me in my family on both sides raised HUGE gardens or farmed. They had cows and chickens for milk and eggs. I'm a farm raised girl.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We had a large potato garden when I was up in Canada. I loved the baby potatoes in particular. Just boiled and butter! One year I did can some of the left overs and they kept there flavor too. I was amazed. Carlie use to just love raw potatoes just out of the garden. She thought they were quite the treat. She's not as crazy about store bought ones I've discovered.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deegles View Post
    Someone I know likes to eat potatoes raw. Potatoes are very good for you. I had fully loaded baked potatoes a week ago for supper. Potato, onion, bacon, cheese, sour cream, butter, salt and pepper. MMMMMMmmmmmmmm

Potato chips are my weakness.

Gosh I think I am drooling.
    You left off the jalapeno pepper rings!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Once it is cool where you live, don't forget to make a pot of ham and potato soup. This recipe from Allrecipes is very good and very popular. I made it as written the first time but have altered slightly based on reading some reviews and our own tastes. Highly recommended if you like soups. Here's the link for the original recipe and I'll write out how I make it. To summarize, I use a little more ham, add a grated carrot, add some freshly grated cheddar cheese, use less salt & pepper, and garnish individual bowls with additional grated cheddar (and sometimes a little crisp bacon, crumbled).
    Delicious Ham and Potato Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Ham & Potato Soup

3-1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
    1/3 cup diced celery
    1/3 cup finely chopped onion
    1 large carrot, grated
    1 to 1-1/2 cups diced cooked ham
    3-1/4 cups water
    2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
    1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste (remember that chicken bouillon & ham both salty)
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
    5 tablespoons butter
    5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 cups milk

Combine the potatoes, celery, carrot, onion, ham, and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in chicken bouillon, salt, and pepper.

In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about a minute or so. Slowly whisk in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4-5 minutes.

Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot. Add grated cheddar and cook soup until heated through and cheese melted. Serve immediately. Garnish each bowl with a little additional grated cheddar cheese. My husband also likes a touch of crumbled bacon on top with the cheddar but not needed with ham in the soup.

Yield: 8 servings

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

"Fried" and "Scalloped Potatoes and Ham" and Potato Soup...
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I like potatoes just about anyway. One of my favorites is to make breakfast potatoes. I also add a sweet potato, onions, bell peppers, garlic, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and whatever else I might have on hand that must be used. I've even added carrots and celery. These go so nicely with eggs, especially fried eggs.

Another recipe I like is a Rachael Ray recipe where she cuts the potatoes in half. Then puts them in a frying pan with a little water and lets them boil. When the water boils out they keep cooking in oil and get a nice golden brown. They are delicious this way with a little salt, pepper, Italian seasoning (if desired), oil & vinegar. I like to eat them at room temperature but they are good hot or cold too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've never met a potato that I didn't like!!
    My friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen