Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions on Applique, Quilt Pattern

Hi all! I am Pretty new to this Forum and a bit nervous to post LOL!! However I do browse quite often

I have a question to all of you Applique Fans out there??!!

So a friend and I are each getting ready to make our own quilt from this Large Sampler Quilt Pattern. This Quilt Pattern (Gossip in the Garden) requires a lot of Applique such as Dresden's, English Paper Piecing, and fusible web applique.

Now the Pattern says to use can use Fusible Web on some of the Applique such as the birds, flowers etc....
    and for the Dresden's, flower steams and other pieces to use Freezer Paper applique or needle turn style applique.

So my question is....will it look funny to have some of the edges turned, and some raw with fusible?????? Or, should they ALL be turned????

This has been laying Heavily on my Mind!

Thanks a Bunch!
    Shella

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Questions on Applique, Quilt Pattern

Shella, glad you posted. Welcome here. One of the first things to remember (as Buckeye Quilter often says) "Your quilt, your rules."

I think it would be personal preference how you want it to look. Many quilts have a "mixed media" kind of look, so how you applique it up to you.

Looking forward to seeing these blocks as you go along. join the WIP thread to keep us posted.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Shella,

a very warm welcome from Switzerland.

Your question is very delicate, because it depense on your taste. In my Quilts I often mix raw edge applications and turned applications and it never looked strange. For example, I raw edge applique the petals of a flower, but the green leaves I needle turn and it gives a Special touch to the whole Picture. Make a pillow and try different methods, look what you like and want you dont like. I am sure in the end you will have a wonderful masterpiece.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

I love that Rule "Your quilt, your rules"! I don't know what the WIP thread is I will have to look for that and might need a little Guidance and will post as we go with each Block! TY!
    Shella

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shella View Post
    I love that Rule "Your quilt, your rules"! I don't know what the WIP thread is I will have to look for that and might need a little Guidance and will post as we go with each Block! TY!
    WIP is the work in progress thread. It's weekly I think mixed up is a fun look!

Lorie

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Lori I will have to check it out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    WIP is the work in progress thread. It's weekly I think mixed up is a fun look!
    Shella

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Questions on Applique, Quilt Pattern

Thanks for asking this question Shella, I love hearing everyone's opinions on this subject, as I would like to know too