Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default how to make a purse

I saw the jelly roll week post a while back and I was wondering how to make the jelly roll purse. If someone could send me a link to a tutorial that would be great. I want to make it for my Mom and my Grandmother in law for Christmas. I am a really beginning quilter so please keep that in mind.....just kind of learning as I go!

Thanks
    Amy

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: how to make a purse

Go up to the top of this page (the blue line) and click on "Quilting Tutorials." Click on "Project Tutorials." The last tut on row 3 is the tote made with pre-cut strips. If you want it to be more like a purse just make a loop and add it to the top of the bag before you sew on the lining. You can hand-sew a button on the front of the bag at the end. If you want a different style of bag there are lots of patterns out there. I know "Lazy Girl Designs" has some really fun bags to make that look fairly easy. She's known for her streamline method of sewing to make creating handbags easier and faster. I know there's a tutorial of her making one of her bags on "Kayewoods" website. Interesting to watch.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to this link. Look for the Joan Hawley tutorials on making some of her handbags. Kaye's Quilting Friends and Quilting the Kaye Wood Videos, Online ...
    www.kayewoodtv.com/

You could easliy sew strips together and then use it to make one of Joan's bags. You can also purchase her patterns on her website. She's all about purses so she has lot of patterns for different handbags. I've actually picked up some of her patterns with a coupon at Joann Fabrics. Haven't made any yet but hope to at some point.

Hopefully, others will pipe in and give you some ideas if Jenny's tutorial isn't quite what you had in mind. Show pics, please. We love to see everyone's work. Have fun!
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; October 29th, 2011 at 08:39 AM.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard, Amy, from NE Arkansas. Lots of great artists here with tons of knowledge.
    shirleyj

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Amy, I want to welcome you to the forum - thanks for finding us. We've been waiting for you to show up. Now get those purses made and take some pictures cause we sure like to share.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much for your help. I will post pictures when I am done.

Amy