Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can we talk water heaters?

We've lived in our house 38 yrs. & have replaced the HWH at least twice, I think. The first time, it sprung a leak & water was running all over the floor. Grabbed towels, etc. The utility rm. floor does have a drain, which helped. Glad it happened when we were home to discover it. I can't imagine having one last 30 yrs.! Yours is living on borrowed time, for sure. I think 10-12 yrs. is an ave. lifespan for a HWH. Yes, they are much more expensive than they used to be. Ours is gas. I hope you find the right model for your situation. Expect to pay.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My dad was quite the character. The phone number he had was close to a plumbers business number and he used to get calls for that business all the time. One day a lady kept calling and calling and he kept telling her over and over again that she had the wrong number. Finally, after yet another call from her, he said 'look lady. I used to be a carpenter and handyman and I can probably tell you how to fix your leaking water heater yourself if you will quit calling me.' She said she would not call again. She really didn't call again when he told her to turn it upside down!! She did, however, cuss him out and slam down the phone!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    Wow I had no idea about these regulations. When we built this house we did everything ourselves. I called the gas co. Maybe it's something simple. I'll try them first.
    Good idea Lorie. They may have a promotion if you stay with a gas water heater as opposed to switching to electric. Doen't hurt to ask. I remember getting those promotion flyers back in the day when I got a paper bill. So I am not sure if they still do that because I've been paperless for years.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When we converted from oil to gas we had a tankless water heater put in. You get hot water on demand and never run out. Depending on where it is installed it may take longer for the hot water to get to the faucet.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We live in a small townhome, our electric HWH was replaced 14 months ago for $800. Our home had $20,000 worth of work done last summer after a burst pipe, so I'm pretty sure they were being as nice as they could be on the installation costs.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    We have an on demand tankless water heater that runs on natural gas, which is what we use for cooking and heat as well. I love it!! Never run out of hot water!
    Me too, thats what kind I have too. Love it. Apparently it pays for itself in about 4-5 years in the savings from keeping 60 gals of water hot all the time even if you aren't using it.
    Grandma Nan

Nancy

"Some of the best memories are created in flip flops"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We just replaced one last year for about $1000.00. Ours was 29 years old.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm glad I called the gas co because it was stupidly simple. The dial was turned to off. Dh didn't notice it when he checked if the pilot went out. Why it was turned off is a mystery. My theroy ( because the heater is outside is in an inclosed box) a rat got in there trying to get to the blanket.

The guy was none to happy coming all the way up here for something so stupid though. I'm going to go tankless when it really breaks. Thanks for the help

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I guess price probably depends on where you live or what state your're in. I checked at Sears and for our area 50 gallon electric water heaters are $600.00

50 gallon propane prices run the same.
    Last edited by Genny; August 21st, 2015 at 06:03 PM.
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny