Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quilting with straight lines?

I'm contemplating quilting a almost finished quilt with straight lines. Anyone who has done this--- do you start from the top edge for each line or alternate between top and bottom?

Thanks for your help.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilting with straight lines?

I've done straight lines on the diagonal. I started in the middle and worked my way out one side, then turned the quilt and worked from the center out again.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love straight line quilting. I tend to go random/organic picking a range "about" 2" apart. I never measure or mark for perfection. I always zig zag around the whole quilt after its basted and before I start quilting. If my quilt has blocks I can easily stitch in the ditch I do that first to stabilize everything. Then I look at the vertical rows and decide how many lines I want in each vertical row and quilt the lines by eyeballing where it should be (for example, an eye-balled one inch or so away from the stitch in the ditch). Hope that makes sense! I use a walking foot for straight line quilting.

I used to work from the middle to each side but I don't anymore, usually. I work from right to left and from top to bottom.

Terri
    Last edited by sewlucky; August 18th, 2015 at 09:04 PM.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I start at the top for each line. Work from the middle out to the right, then turn over and do the same.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I make my first line using blue painters tape as a guide, somewhere around the middle of the quilt and then I eyeball the next lines however far away from that first I want to make them. I've also used a metal doohicky thing attached to my sewing foot to help me stay an even distance from my first line but I found I preferred the 'natural' look. I also alternate which end I start sewing from - so, I start row 2 at the same end as I ended row 1, rather than start them all at the same end. I don't always use a walking foot, so any 'drag' I have in the fabric gets reversed with the next row because I'm sewing in the opposite direction. If you see what I mean. Gosh, I really should eat chocolate before I start typing, sharpen those brain cells.

Don't worry, someone will come along in a minute and tell us what the correct name for the doohicky thing is :-)
    Slainte!

Liz

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LizTheScot View Post
    Don't worry, someone will come along in a minute and tell us what the correct name for the doohicky thing is :-)
    Metal doodle ma bob thinga ma jig.
    Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it just a walking foot guide?

Quote Originally Posted by LizTheScot View Post
    I make my first line using blue painters tape as a guide, somewhere around the middle of the quilt and then I eyeball the next lines however far away from that first I want to make them. I've also used a metal doohicky thing attached to my sewing foot to help me stay an even distance from my first line but I found I preferred the 'natural' look. I also alternate which end I start sewing from - so, I start row 2 at the same end as I ended row 1, rather than start them all at the same end. I don't always use a walking foot, so any 'drag' I have in the fabric gets reversed with the next row because I'm sewing in the opposite direction. If you see what I mean. Gosh, I really should eat chocolate before I start typing, sharpen those brain cells.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did diagonal cross hatching on the 9-P/Rail Fence I recently completed. I used the Frixion pen & marked the whole top prior to sandwiching it. I'm a bit of a perfectionist; I wanted my lines evenly spaced. With each row, I alternated directions when sewing Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bo. Co. Fair - 9-P & Rail Fence - Aug. 2015 007.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	116176to avoid getting puckers.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

doohicky
    Metal doodle ma bob thinga ma jig.
    thingambob whatchamacallit

Ok, yeah, it's a walking foot guide, but I prefer the term from the Forum language directory! LOL!

Walking foot guide, or free hand, either way they both create some really cool looking quilting on straight line. I start at the center top and work to the right, then flip, roll and do the same on the other side. Same on diagonal. Just whatever works best for you. Makes no difference.
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sewlucky View Post
    Isn't it just a walking foot guide?
    I think sewing machine manual calls it a quilting guide.

Metal doohickey is much better though