Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: New backing

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default New backing

Hi,

So I made my daughter a quilt about 4 years ago, used Moda fabric on the front (the Spa collection) really pretty... ok so I admit right now that I was new and I did not use good quality fabric on the back.. it's flannel from Joanns and just the regular not the quilters kind. Anyway.... the front looks great, she uses it all the time and washes it a lot so the back is faded, has "balled" up and has torn in a couple of places. She LOVES this quilt and I offered to make a new one but she said no just patch it so I did but.. it will just keep wearing out so can I just put a new back ok it? like over the top? I was thinking just get good quality fabric this time and then quilt it again but can I do it like very spaced apart? like 8 inches? And then how would I handle the binding? should I cut it off and re-bind it?

thanks for any ideas
    Sandy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New backing

I would totally just put a new back on it right over top of the old. Remove the binding and stitch in the ditch along all of the blocks to attach the new back. If the original binding is in good shape re-use it, otherwise I would add a new binding as well. Good luck!!

Terri

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New backing

I would take off the binding AND that backing. At least get as much as possible removed by cutting it off. esp around the worn areas. Then follow Terri's (sewlucky) advise on quilting and binding. As flannel ages, it tends to roll and "pill" which will cause lumps and bumps that will make your NEW fabric wear out faster.