Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question on Wal-Mart fabric

I agree with the above posters. I have found some very nice fabrics there, and their new Waverly line (which one clerk told me was going to "take over" the fabric dept is quite nice for the price.

Funny you should ask this now. Just before I took a break, I was cutting some fabric I bought at WM off of the bolt ( I bought all they had for $1 yd and is nice quality. I was thinking how it feels thicker than some quilt store fabrics. Personally, if it is for making curtains for a little girls room, I would only worry about the look I want, not whether it will last forever - she will outgrow it first!
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have found good fabric at WalMart. I would say buy it if she loves it. Curtains don't have a lot of wearing out, so even if it is a bit thin I would think that's OK, unless she wants to keep the light out. I would also buy a bit more for shrinkage.
    Mary

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have used VIP and Cranston in the past and they worked well for me. I would buy am extra yard or so and make pillowcases to match.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

i made 2 DDs quilts 15 yrs ago using fabrics from WM. They survived moves back and forth to college for 4 yrs, countless moves around the country and continued use. They look fine , not faded, frayed or worn other than you would expect with constant use. The Cranston and VIP WM carries is quite nice.
    I was a bit leary of the unmarked flatfolds they carried though most around here no longer have them. I did find some bright fabric there when DD was teaching and made window toppers for her classroom. she used them every year for 5 years.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I love VIP fabrics. I've used them for well over 20 years. They make some of my favorite prints. I've never had any problem with shrinkage or colors running.

In fact I have VIP fabric in my curtains in my living room and they have been on the windows for about 5 years now. I would line the curtains as light will fade fabric over time.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Since Walmart is the only place I have to purchase fabric (unless I drive 45 miles each way or order on line where I can't really see or feel what I'm purchasing until I receive it) I buy most of mine there. That being said...I've never had a problem with their fabric.
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For a little girl, definitely get/sew it. She'll change her mind a gazillion times on theme before it's done, lol! WalMart has some really nice fabrics and check my two Super Stores all the time. Have used great quantities of their fabric with no issues at all. But always do the "feel" and "light" test too. Don't discount them, have gotten some really nice fabrics there for little to nothing.
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    Like KPH said, some of it's decent fabric. I have ordered som VIP panels online and the quality was medium to good. Some of the stuff in the store is very thin and I can see through it, but some not at all and at excellent prices!
    It's worth going to check it out.
    This is good to know. I'd like to make a bias-trim dress in weeks ahead and want a thin under fabric to lie the bias strips upon. https://sewlyricallyvintage.wordpres...rim-sun-dress/ This sounds like it just might do AND I won't have to drive the 30+ miles to another town to get to a Jo-Ann's.

http://www.sewlyricallyvintage.wordpress.com

"Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!" ~ Angel Bear

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KPH View Post
    There are some nice fabrics at walmart. I found a bolt of 108" 100% cotton that feels better than my sheets that was on the clearance shelf. Waverly even has a line there now.
    Go pet the fabric. If it's what she wants, use it.
    I was just there buying SF101 (3.44 yd). The Waverly solids feel great and are only 2.97 a yard. Not too thin, not too thick. Definitely better quality fabric than what they had in the past.
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man! I wish my walmart sold fabric! They have a small section of 'precuts' very limited, but they do carry good notions and rotary blades. Even though I live in the middle of this big-ole park-like place, there's a walmart within easy walking distance. When I go there at 6 am on Sunday morning, it's like my own private store!
    Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all!

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place