Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default I need suggestions for a quilt project I'm working on

Hi, I am new to this site so hope I do this right. I am in desparate need of some suggestion on a project that I am doing. A co-worker has asked me to make [Christmas Stockings] for another co-worker and her fiancé for a wedding gift. I have decided to donate my sewing and time as my gift. All the supplies are being provided to me but I am in a quandary at how to proceed because the fabrics are so varied. I have a stocking pattern to use and the beige background is pre-quilted which will save a little time. I don't know how to use the fabrics to make them coherent and to look like it is a Christmas stocking. For instance the remainder of the fabrics for his stocking consist of green outlined small red cardinals (his favorite animal) on a red background with tiny white snowflakes and dots, BBQ fabric with shades of light tan, black and rust (ribs are his favorite food), light tan fabric with darker tan crosses that the collaborator wants centered or near the center of the stockings, ice cream soda fabric with beige background and ice cream shades of green, pink, red, and brown with cherries on top of ice cream (his favorite fruit is cherries), a red solid fabric, a fabric with lizards in shades of blue, orange, yellow and green with contrasting dots or stripes and a navy background. All of the above are cotton fabrics but the clincher is the polar fleece with NFL team logo and colors in black, orange and white. Please help me!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I need suggestions for a quilt project I'm working on

Sounds like you should do crazy quilt type stocking

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...tocomplete%7C1

Welcome to the forum!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think Lorie is right, that's the only thing I can think of also. That's a lot of different fabrics to put in a stocking, could you use one of them for the lining?

Welcome to the forum!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.

That is quite a hodgepodge. Are the fabrics for her as varied as his?

If you really want to incorporate all of these fabrics in one stocking, you could do it either by cutting them into small strips and sewing them to a foundation (string quilting) or into random shapes and crazy quilting them. The problem is that unless the stockings are ridiculously large you are going to loose alot of the details in the patterns. Since that seems to be why they were chosen I don't think anyone would be happy with that. As far as the fleece fabric goes, it could be used in the heel and toe area but I don't think is would mesh well with all of the other patterns.

Before you apply cutter to fabric, I would recommend making a paper mock up. Make some color copies of the fabrics and an outline of your finished stocking shape. Then play with what you have and see if it will work. And then take your mock up in and let your coworkers see it.

Personally, I would recommend stepping back and discussing this with your coworkers. I don't know how much fabric you have but it sounds to me like you have a great start for a lap quilt the your coworker and her husband could snuggle under together and use year round. I assume you have some prints depicting things she likes as well. You could also incorporate some signature blocks with messages from your coworkers for a more personal touch.

Good luck.
    Kris

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your suggestion. I have thought a little that that might work

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Making a mock-up sounds like a good idea. I had thought of maybe using the fleece as a liner or cuff but it would be very thick with all the layers. The fabrics for the female are fewer than the male's, thank goodness so it may be a little easier.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I got dizzy just reading your post! Crazy quilt seems like the only way to go here, but man those fabrics sound like they won't play well together no matter what you do. Maybe you could use the fleece for a cuff on top of the stocking? This will be a challenge. Good luck!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have never been afraid to tell someone who wanted something from me that what they wanted isn't going to work. THEN make suggestions for what WILL work. Saves a lot of "hatred" later on.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyknot View Post
    I have never been afraid to tell someone who wanted something from me that what they wanted isn't going to work. THEN make suggestions for what WILL work. Saves a lot of "hatred" later on.
    Shirley makes a great point. It sounds like you should sit down with the co-worker and show her your pattern and a paper mockup. Perhaps you can persuade her to cut down the number of fabrics you use for the stockings. They just aren't that big, and those motifs and colors probably won't play well together. Much better to air the issues now before you cut anything more than paper.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love the idea of the paper mockup with color copies. Goodo luck