• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hulamoon
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

Have you seen these applique tools?

It looks easy enough. I wish there was a second video.

Apliquick - The best new tools and method of appliqué in years and years. I love these new tools from Spain. We have them on sale right now!!! Watch the vid...

There are plenty, but i don't see one that finishes it off.
    Last edited by Hulamoon; August 8, 2015, 02:15 PM.
    🌺 Lorie
  • pharris123
    The Guild President
    • Apr 2015

Re: Have you seen these applique tools?

I do a LOT of wee tiny applique - way smaller even than what's in that video. I've seen that video before, and watching her struggle with that long fondue fork and metal skewer gives me the heebie jeebies. Seems to me it's WAY more trouble than it's worth. It's also expensive. I can't even imagine the reason for doing it that way, but I am glad if it works for some people.

I use a clover mine-iron, freezer paper, liquid starch and my left fingernail (that's why I can't cut that one short for now!) I've seen some folks use a metal stiletto, but I can never misplace my finger (the good lord willing). It took me awhile to settle on a method that works for me.

If you're interested, here's where I learned the method I use:

P3 Designs: Category: Applique Tips and Techniques

and here's a youtube video showing how she does it:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I think the stiletto might come in handy, I just don't use one.

This post sounds a little snooty. I don't mean it to. I would be always happy to help anyone out with applique, I love it dearly!
    Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all! :icon_wave:

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

Comment

• Hulamoon
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2012

It wasn't snooty silly. I like to learn new ways. I did a lot of applique on childrens clothes using a satin stitch (some are in my notes). Since I cut out my orange peels I was looking for different ways to apply them. I was going to use Jenny's tut but was looking for options. I'm not a hand sewer. Thanks for the links!
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• SuzyQue
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2010

I thought the length of the tools were cumbersome to use....at least they looked that way. I am thinking of trying an orange stick next time I need to turn something tiny....it has the nice bevel end on it. I didn't check but I imagine these tools would be pricey. All that said, great tools can really be helpful!

Comment

• pharris123
          The Guild President
          • Apr 2015

an orange stick! Between Dollar Tree, Home Depot, and Rite-aid, we can do anything!

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

Comment

• SuzyQue
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2010

I guess that just showed my "cheapness" and ingenuity to use what I have when I can.

Comment

• Deegles
              Missouri Star
              • Oct 2014

If this person is trying to sell these tools, she needs to refine her technique as she struggled way too much. I like learning new ideas too! I really want to try a large applique quilt, however am too lazy and this looked like a gob of work more than I want to accomplish.
              Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Hulamoon
                Missouri Star
                • Jul 2012

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
                I thought the length of the tools were cumbersome to use....at least they looked that way. I am thinking of trying an orange stick next time I need to turn something tiny....it has the nice bevel end on it. I didn't check but I imagine these tools would be pricey. All that said, great tools can really be helpful!
                Well that's pretty brillant!
                Last edited by Hulamoon; August 8, 2015, 05:30 PM.
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Hulamoon
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Deegles View Post
                  If this person is trying to sell these tools, she needs to refine her technique as she struggled way too much. I like learning new ideas too! I really want to try a large applique quilt, however am too lazy and this looked like a gob of work more than I want to accomplish.
                  I have a whale quilt in my pile and I'm just going to blanket stitch that one. I never turned under for applique, I figured I'd try it on the orange peel. It's only a baby quilt, thank gosh.
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

• pharris123
                    The Guild President
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
                    I guess that just showed my "cheapness" and ingenuity to use what I have when I can.
                    I am the queen of dollar store quilting supplies! I love it!

Comment

Working...
                    X