Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Searching for inspiration :) in other words... I'm here!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Giveaway Week 30 Aug 8th -21st

So I'm making amends this week. It was pointed out to me that I posted a double standard on last weeks giveaway... I'm sorry! I said to come post every day whether or not you'd been sewing! Well, that was exactly what you were able to and supposed to do. Unfortunately, I didn't check the wording at all in the ending paragraph that stated one post for the week. Aaaggh! Mistakes are so annoying! Anyhow as an apology I'm doubling the points for last week and this week!

So, without further ado... Congratulations to Nana2mandj! You are the proud owner of 2000 Quilters Cash Points!! Yay!

And to get us started for next week I'll pose a new question! Are you ready?

What do you think is the most common mistake made while sewing?

Or perhaps you prefer to call them learning opportunities, or tests of patience, or areas of unique quilt character! Whatever you call them, reply here and tell us what you think happens all the time for the random quilter that makes the brows furrow and a groan echo through the sewing room Not that I know what that sounds like but I think a lot of other quilters might be very frustrated after sewing 25 sets of blocks together with no bobbin thread left. I have no idea how you people don't notice when things like that happen! It sure makes me.... uh, people, other people, crazy, I think.

To enter the game just hit the reply to thread button at the top or bottom of this page and answer the question! You only get one entry per contest round. A winner will be chosen by random selection in about a week to win our next 2000 Quilters Cash Points!
    Then watch your private messages cause I might be sending one your way!
    Last edited by stitchywoman; August 19th, 2015 at 09:55 AM.
    To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Giveaway Week 30 Aug 8th -14th

I am absolutely thrilled that I won the 2000 points this week!!! I have to decide how to use them right now!!!!!! Yay and thanks so, so much!!!

I think the most common mistake people make in sewing is not having an accurate seam allowance. If just a tiny bit off, it will make the finished item be off as well. This is especially important when piecing quilts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to Nana2!

I think one very common mistake made by quilters is not taking care of their machine, i.e. taking it in often enough for a good, deep cleaning. It is easy to get caught up in the "I clean after every bobbin change/project.etc." failing to realize that the other 95% of your machine is packing in the lint and dust as well. My machine is in for a spa treatment as we speak, getting ready to head to a retreat soon.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations to the winner.

Most common mistake: Getting in too much of a hurry--when you do that, nothing goes right!
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Grats to the winner! I think the most common and frustrating mistake I make repeatedly is sewing a wrong side to a right side, rather than 2 right sides together. At least for me and I so hate ripping.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations to the winner.

Not changing your needle often enough. A new needle allows to machine to make a nicer stitches and keeps the needle from breaking and damaging your project.
    Bernice

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

My most common mistake is sewing binding strips upside down, so that the strip takes a right turn instead of heading straight!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For me it is forgetting to reset stitch length and width when resuming sewing. After my machine is turned off, it returns to factory settings and I forget to reset for my quarter inch seam. AARRRGGGG

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

My most common mistake is being too much in a hurry, thinking everything is going oh so great, only to find wrong sides sewn to right sides - and that has to be ripped out - and it's usually after chain sewing a multitude of pieces! Does not make for a happy camper!

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

congrats to the winner!

I have a cranky machine and I learned the hard way that I ALWAYS need to test stitch tension before starting a new project. I don't know how common that is or is it just my machine.

yes a new machine is on my wishlist.