Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default It Happened In My Quilting/Sewing Room

I was working on my current quilt project. Grandkids were playing on the trundle bed in the corner. I walk to the ironing board. Of course I am barefoot. Does anyone sew with their shoes on? I step on something cool and squishy feeling. My first thought before looking down was the kids must have left some Play Doh on the floor. Wrong!! It was a rattle snake. About a foot or so long. I calmly told the kids to stay put. Then I went to the utility room, grabbed a broom and dustpan, poked at it with the broom handle until it coiled up in a tight circle, swept it up in the dustpan, put the broom over it and dumped it in the garbage can outside and put the lid on snug. I really think it was in a couple of produce boxes I got at the grocery store. We have never seen a snake since we have lived here and since we now live in town I am pretty sure the snake came in those boxes. A woman was bitten by a rattle snake at a Home Depot near us recently when she reached down in a flower pot.

This is the second snake I have had in the house since we were married 45 years ago. The first was when we lived in an old ranch house. I am pretty sure it came in through a crack in the screen door. The snakes were denned up under the house and when we would throw logs on the fire, they would hiss. Didn't live there very long.......................Snakes I can handle but if it had been a mouse or rat, I would have left and never came back. Not even for my sewing machine or fabric stash.

Wonder what stories all of you have that happened in your sewing room.
    Last edited by janbee; August 7th, 2015 at 10:18 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: It Happened In My Quilting/Sewing Room

Yikes! you are braver than I!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

OH HELL NO!!!! If I stepped on something soft and squishy in my sewing room and it was a snake, you would have to call 911. Either because I was dead on the floor or I set the house on fire!!!!! When you mentioned the grandkids playing in there, I was thinking maybe they were in diapers and a surpise popped out of one of them!!!!!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

OH EM GEE....no way could I have stayed clam....I would have had my own 'wet and squishy' running down both legs.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

YIKES! You were brave! I would not have been able to do that.
    Vicki C

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yuck! I would not have been a happy. When I was growing up, I was taught to sew with my shoes on. One was the foot petal would get hot and two to avoid a dropped pin going into your foot as your tried to find it or didn't know one had dropped.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, My , Grandma (as Jenny says)... You have just described my very worst nightmare... I have a true S. phobia....can't even look at pics.... I would have had a second heart attack.... You are so lucky the kids were not bitten.

You are one brave woman.... I couldn't have spent five minutes in your old house....

My heart picked up speed just reading your story..... Wow... You are my hero....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are very lucky it didn't bite you! Especially since you stepped on it. Growing up in Texas snakes don't scare me.

I was driving down a four lane road at 55 mph (that's the speed limit) and I saw movement out of the corner of my eye and there was a mouse on the floor. We had a cold snap and he probably wanted someplace warm. I pulled in to the first parking lot, opened all the doors and banged on the sides to try and scare him out. Don't think it worked because I set a trap that night and caught one. I'm sure everyone who drove by thought I was crazy.
    Ann

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Who's volunteering to take the garbage out? lol
    Bec

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One creepy snake story and..............I start checking around my ankles...........

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk !!!!!!!!!!!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?