Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default STRONG Work Horse Machine??

I have come to discover that my 2 sewing machines just don't have the "Strong as Bull" capabilities that I would like, so I need to trade one in (NOT the embroidery one) and get a straight sew through anything machine.

Problem is I don't even know which direction to look.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

I would rather take suggestions from you all here than from a salesperson...no offense to salespeople as I was one, but I would rather have hands-on words of wisdom.

I don't need fancy or pricey, just good old fashion get 'er done strength.

Thanks in advance.
    Sometimes I wake up Grumpy!
    Other times I just let HIM sleep.

Lynn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: STRONG Work Horse Machine??

My vote goes for a Juki.

I have the Juki98TLQ. Love it. Sews through denim seams like butter. Just a straight stitch or free motion. Powerful machine and purely mechanical.

Juki Sewing Machine Reviews - BestSewingMachineForTheMoney.com
    I think the 2010 replaced it.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sure you will get lots of opinions on this. I'm voting with Vonnie for Juki. Just got a TL 2010Q which is the newer replacement for the TL98Q and I love it. I've just started playing with it and it is sewing everything I throw at it like a dream. Tough as nails. Straight stitch only, semi-industrial. There are several reviews of the Juki TL 2010 on YouTube.

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Jenome 6600 and just bought the Juki TL2010Q, both are workhorses, however, the Juki gets my vote for being tougher than nails and easier to see where you're sewing, it's straight stitch only, but I fell in love with it. Check out Leah Day's video about it, I had decided to get it before I saw her video, that clinched it for me.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Juki 2010!
    I don't have one, but as soon as I can I will be getting one. It is a dream of a workhorse machine for quilting and sewing from everything I have read, seen, and heard!

This is the machine that Bubba makes all her fabulous creations on...she is the bag lady queen!!
    (I know that doesn't sound quite right, but I still love saying it.... )
    Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love, love, love my Janome 7700 (Horizon)! It has handled everything I have thrown at it beautifully in the last two years without ever missing a single beat. I have never sewn on a Juki, but I always hear good things about them too.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The straight stitch machines are the way to go. Juki, Babylock, Brother all have versionsI think Janome does too. I narrowed my choice down between the Juki 2010q and the Babylock Jane. They were both great to work with but by personal feel of how I liked the Jane'sway of moving fabric thru Plus the slightly better warranty and at the time better price had me going with the Babylock Jane. I adore mine and it so far goes thru everything like its not there and Free motions like a dream.
    I do think I would have been equally happy with the Juki just had some different features. See if you have a store near you and try some out also having a dealer near you that may offer classes etc. Also I do see used Jukis TL's come up on craiglist when their owners go up to a long arm. These can also be used on a frame
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Brother PQ1500 and really like it. It only does straight stitching or free motion quilting. It handles denim and thick seams well. Here in Brazil we don't have all the options sewers in the states have .

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Janome 1600/Singer S16! Fabulous machine! Straight stitch only, but unless you need to make buttonholes, why do you need anything else?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Singer, and a Babylock, and while both are pretty powerful, they pale in comparison to my Juli TL2010Q. If I had to choose just one to keep, it would be that one. He does only a straight stitch, but that is about all I ever use, unless I have to do buttonholes, which it will not do.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!