Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where do you buy your thread?

I'm finally getting back to my machine after a few months of Life getting in the way (funny how that happens...) Of course, I have more than enough fabric and projects to keep me entertained from now until 2020 but I realized today that I don't have enough of my 'basic' threads to see me through. So - any recommendations for reliable sites for threads that have reasonable prices all the time i.e. not just great sales a few times a year? My go-to threads are Aurifil and Superior Masterpiece. Thanks all!
    Slainte!

Liz

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Where do you buy your thread?

I but from Connecting Threads (their brand of Egyptian cotton) and from Superior.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you like Aurifil for piecing and quilting, you might also like Cairo-Quilt from Fil-Tec. It is very similar. Also, for quilting, I love their Glide thread! They are less expensive than Aurifil too.

Cairo-Quilt - TOP THREAD - QUILTING

Glide - TOP THREAD - QUILTING

4. Thanks msilly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also buy my thread from Connecting Threads, especially when it's on sale, but Craftsy will often have Aurifil on sale.
    Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Craftsy is still showing the Aurifil spools at $7.50, and they have larger cones, too for $35. The larger cones are 4.5X the size of the spools, but there really isn't any $$$ savings. At my LQS, a spool of Aurifl sells for $12.95, so Craftsy can be a savings if you can absorb the shipping cost.

I am currently using Superior's 50 wt cotton. It sews very nicely, but I am seeing more lint than I do with Aurifil. I didn't think there was a price difference between Superior and what I pay for Aurifil at the LQS. I just bought my first spool of Connecting Threads 50 wt, but I haven't used it yet.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    I also buy my thread from Connecting Threads, especially when it's on sale, but Craftsy will often have Aurifil on sale.
    Thanks for this. I forget to look on Craftsy for supplies, and I needed some thread for hand piecing, wanted aurifil 50, and ta-da! It was on sale. I am so poor right now.....
    Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all!

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to hear about your experience with Connecting Threads and how it compares. I've not noticed any additional lint with Superior but I use their Masterpiece, if that makes any difference. Time for me to head over to Craftsy.....
    Slainte!

Liz

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I only buy Connecting threads. It works perfectly in my machines and at less than $2 for a 1200 yard spool on sale, you can't beat it. I saw Aurafil at a LQS while on the shop hop for $14.75 for the same amount. I can't imagine that it would be worth that price. I am still using up lots of other brands I bought before discovering CT, and my vintage machines never complain. I personally would rather buy a spool of thread and a Yard of quilt store fabric than one spool of thread for $15. To each his own!

That being said, it is a little more linty, and my friends fancy schmancy Husqvarna refuses to sew with it, so she uses Gutermann, still much less expensive than Aurafil.
    Donna

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

i get my Aurifil from Pumkinvinecorner.com. always lowest prices for Aurifil.

11. Thanks msilly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My machine LOVES Connecting Threads and Superior Threads.

Since using these two brands the past year, I have not purchased from a local fabric box store.
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b