Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: goodnight, irene question

Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    I made 2 scrappy quilts in that style. I used Jelly Roll strips and yardage from my stash.
    Do you recall how many jelly roll strips you used? I need to figure out how to make the 16 patch block with jelly roll strips. Any tips?

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jackiequilts View Post
    Charm packs. I finished it this year, increased it to King size, used RJR Everything but the Kitchen Sink 30's reproduction fabrics. It turned out so well. Love this pattern!!
    I would love to see your finished quilt! Do you have a picture?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I cut my strips in half so I can mix up the colors more and it helps me to prevent bowing. I like to sew the shorten jelly strips into pairs then into four then since they are 2 1/2 strips subcut the strip set into 2 1/2 inch by the width of the strip set. I then mix them all up and randomly pull them out and sew four of the together I press all of my strip sets in one direction to the right normally then when I put them together I just flip the strip sets opposite so they nest.

You can also do light to dark every other strip as you sew and it creates a nice effect when all together. I have been using strips cut from my stash and left overs so can't tell you how many but with strip sets you can get several blocks per set. How many depends on if you cut the strip in half to start or do them whole length. I finger press as I go then press from the back to keep myself from distorting the strip sets.

Quote Originally Posted by adriene View Post
    Do you recall how many jelly roll strips you used? I need to figure out how to make the 16 patch block with jelly roll strips. Any tips?
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much. I will try some experimentation with my stash.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just started cutting for this quilt today. I'm using fat quarters and cutting them down to 2 1/2" strips.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adriene View Post
    This pattern has been on my list for long, and I'll be using a jelly roll + yardage.

For other patterns I have already made 16P blocks from 2 1/2" strips, and the math is very easy: for each 16P you would need (16) 2 1/2" little squares. That is 16 x 2.5 = 40". This means you can make as many 16P as you have 2 1/2" strips.

But in this pattern you also need (8) 2 1/2" little squares to snowball the units that will make the "X's". If you start from 42 strips you can make (28) 16P blocks + (28) X's blocks.