Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default the 10degree/9degree ruler

OK.. so i'm thinkin' it would be a PITA trying to order on line, mailing and all... so here's my question..
    I think a bit like Jenny... wouldn't there be a way to use the dresden template from MSQC (which i already have...) for that awsome Christmas Tree skirt i saw "somewhere" possibly on the QuiltBoard... it long dresden type wedges that are joined to creat a big circle that perfect for the tree skirt.. made with strip pieced slices, or fussy cut from fabric.. either way... i've promised myself EVERY year i'm gonna make a tree skirt and haven't yet! This is yet another way to use up my stash if i can figure it out..
    I was hoping that the girls at MS would come up with something.. i have an idea about "extending or elongating" from top to bottom of full fabric width, but not sure it would work, How about it girls???? Barbara
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: the 10degree/9degree ruler

I may not be able to get back to you today - but while at the KC Expo last week I saw a fantastic cutting system that I would really love to have - it consisted of a cutting board, a couple clamps, a t-square that snapped into place, and a dial that would allow you to set the angle of your cut. It would be perfect for doing this. Because I didn't have the money in the bank for it I left it at the expo - but I brought home a flier - it's downstairs. I'll have to get it to tell you the name of it.

Now that I'm typing this and thinking, I realize that I have a drafting table in my art studio and I have a built-in t-square there that could be angled to make 10 degree cuts . . . now I just need to figure out whether it is worth letting it set where it is (unused) or repurpose it for a new cutting table . . . my mind is zipping along . . .

Yeah, I know - there are always easier ways to do things. I never do anything easy (which means that my mind always makes a simple task more complicated than warranted for the end result).
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaBabs View Post
    OK.. so i'm thinkin' it would be a PITA trying to order on line, mailing and all... so here's my question..
    I think a bit like Jenny... wouldn't there be a way to use the dresden template from MSQC (which i already have...) for that awsome Christmas Tree skirt i saw "somewhere" possibly on the QuiltBoard... it long dresden type wedges that are joined to creat a big circle that perfect for the tree skirt.. made with strip pieced slices, or fussy cut from fabric.. either way... i've promised myself EVERY year i'm gonna make a tree skirt and haven't yet! This is yet another way to use up my stash if i can figure it out..
    I was hoping that the girls at MS would come up with something.. i have an idea about "extending or elongating" from top to bottom of full fabric width, but not sure it would work, How about it girls???? Barbara
    I ordered my 9 degree ruler online (eBay) and it shipped without an issue. Also snagged a couple of the circle quilt books while I was at it.

Still have yet to use it and it has been almost a year now. My intention was also to make a tree skirt. I have a feeling it might not get used until next year anyway. Oh well! They sure look fun regardless.
    Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
    Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
    Pinterest

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I would think you would be able to extend the ruler and make a template for the larger version, if the dresden ruler is 9-10 degrees. I have a Quilt without Corners book, and it shows a mini 10 degree wedge ruler that makes a 25" circle, so you must be able to just extend the lines out from a small ruler.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure you would be able to make a tree skirt by extending your Dresden template. Once your blades are sewn together and pressed you could simply line the skirt and put bias binding around the circular opening. I wish Jenny would do a tutorial on tree skirts and also mitered corners.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My friend has the giant dresden ruler! The thing is huge! I want that. You could do a tree skirt in an afternoon with it. She made the most darling tablecloth with it. Unfortunately I'm not as bright as some of you with figuring degrees etc. so I need the ruler. LOL Maybe I'll ask for it for Christmas and then do a skirt next year. In the meantime, I have a round table looking for a new tablecloth! Hugs, Jan L.
    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, OK, I'll give up MY SECRET.... A pencil for fabric..a String... and a nail.

Remember drawing circles with that pencil tied to a string and the string tied to the Nail that is poking out of a board? NO??? well it works.. just fold your fabric in half.. lay the fold against that Nail.. or another solid/stationary item..so it doesn't move. tie a string to that stationary object with that pencil or chalk attached and draw your circle or rather a 1/2 circle on your fabric or on your paper pattern.

You can also replace the string with a 12 inch ruler that has those 3 ring binder holes in it.. makes smaller circles.. I use to have a "yard stick" with holes that worked for round table cloths and tree skirts, but LOST it when correcting a wayward child. I call this Granny's Circular Method (stole it from Granpappy who worked with wood)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    I may not be able to get back to you today - but while at the KC Expo last week I saw a fantastic cutting system that I would really love to have - it consisted of a cutting board, a couple clamps, a t-square that snapped into place, and a dial that would allow you to set the angle of your cut. It would be perfect for doing this. Because I didn't have the money in the bank for it I left it at the expo - but I brought home a flier - it's downstairs. I'll have to get it to tell you the name of it.

Now that I'm typing this and thinking, I realize that I have a drafting table in my art studio and I have a built-in t-square there that could be angled to make 10 degree cuts . . . now I just need to figure out whether it is worth letting it set where it is (unused) or repurpose it for a new cutting table . . . my mind is zipping along . . .

Yeah, I know - there are always easier ways to do things. I never do anything easy (which means that my mind always makes a simple task more complicated than warranted for the end result).
    Sandy, we just might be related??? You got more ideas while typing... and always overthinking my projects.. slows down my progress, but it's part of the fun for me.. Lord help me i just won't follow direftions to the letter... LOL
    If only i could create by hand half as fast as i can in my mind!!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Granny for reminding me of how simply things really should be.. Just got back from a trip thru your imagination!!! You go girl... if i'd get of the computer.. i might get something done...

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

How about making a paper template?? Just fold into fourths and so forth til you get your width of blade you want then use it as a template? Just thinkin..........