Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: the 10degree/9degree ruler

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaBabs View Post
    Sandy, we just might be related??? You got more ideas while typing... and always overthinking my projects.. slows down my progress, but it's part of the fun for me.. Lord help me i just won't follow direftions to the letter... LOL
    If only i could create by hand half as fast as i can in my mind!!!!!
    We just might be related. Whether or not we are, I'm claiming you . . . let's see, Sisters, okay?
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Granny Judy View Post
    OK, OK, I'll give up MY SECRET.... A pencil for fabric..a String... and a nail.

Remember drawing circles with that pencil tied to a string and the string tied to the Nail that is poking out of a board? NO??? well it works.. just fold your fabric in half.. lay the fold against that Nail.. or another solid/stationary item..so it doesn't move. tie a string to that stationary object with that pencil or chalk attached and draw your circle or rather a 1/2 circle on your fabric or on your paper pattern.

You can also replace the string with a 12 inch ruler that has those 3 ring binder holes in it.. makes smaller circles.. I use to have a "yard stick" with holes that worked for round table cloths and tree skirts, but LOST it when correcting a wayward child. I call this Granny's Circular Method (stole it from Granpappy who worked with wood)
    I have been really wanting this ruler..can you give us a tutorial on that with pictures..lol..i need pictures..I wasn't the greatest in math class
    Patrice

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

OK,,,,Patrice!! I just know I can find a video somewhere on this Method to Measure & Make... Otherwise I'll have to cobble one up for you.. THIS IS THE BEST ONE YET.... except for old joints, I think I could master this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv_fZ...layer_embedded

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Judy,

That's so easy!!! Thanks for the reminder. I would tape newspaper together to make the circle. Then divide the circle evenly into the number of blades I want and then use a plate to add the curve around the end of the blade! Sounds like a lot of effort just to get one blade for a pattern but it shouldn't take very long. Once the pattern is made I'll tuck it away for future use. Certainly would make cute gifts and quick to make.

I'm going to write this idea down for later. Super easy way to make a pattern for it. Thanks again, Judy!!! I love it when we can figure these things out and not have to buy something to help us.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; October 26th, 2011 at 01:02 PM.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

There is an easy way to extend the dresden plate using a ruler. Jenny shows it in her big thanksgiving turkey tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Missouri...41/irbHThNn604

This method looks like it would be pretty easy to cut any size dresden without having to make or buy a new template.
    Find my creations on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/tinabartondesigns

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Few table cloths are not suitable for our tables then we take correct measurements of the table and then stitch it as we want. While taking the measurements we must follow the correct scale other wise it will not also suite our table.