Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help! Need some thoughts on a machine....

Hi! I am a new member of your forum and have really enjoyed all the wonderful quilting information! This is my first time posting however. Maybe ya'll can help me out.

I have been quilting for 5 years, and am ready to upgrade to an embroidery machine. After countless hours of working out designs by hand, a machine that could do the same thing seems (beyond) amazing to me! I have been putting aside a little each month with the hopes of getting the Pfaff Creative 3.0 (Pfaff is what I've always sewn on), but this afternoon I came across a gently used Bernina 635. However, being an older model I can't find too much information on it. AND I am unfamiliar with Bernina to begin with!

Would anyone happen to have this machine (or the 630) and be able to tell me its pros & cons? Or about the brand Bernina. Also, what are the cons to buying a machine that's a few years older? It seems to me reasonable priced ($1500 and with accessories + stich regulator) and has been serviced regularly.

Thank you! I look forward to hearing your thoughts
    ~Abi

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help! Need some thoughts on a machine....

Have you checked on google to see if there are articles on them? sometimes you can get a review on something that has been compared to a new model. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

3. Thanks Abi thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Bernina and love it. It is about 25 years old now. It was expensive compared to others when I got it, but it has worn well and as far as I can tell it sews just like new. Someone else will have to comment about newer models.

Marci

5. Thanks Abi thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Bernina is a good brand. I'm sure they have had their problems but the Bernina dealer I do business with is an outstanding person. I have only bought one Bernina from him, I have bought a Pfaff and two Janomes and have been more than satisfied.

I have not purchased a new machine as yet. I currently have four machines, a Singer Featherweight 221, a Capitol (1970's Singer clone), a Janome 6600 and a Bernina Embroidery machine. I find buying the used machines I save a lot of money and get more machine than I would purchasing a box store machine. My Bernina embroidery machine is a great machine, but I wish I had spent more money and got a newer machine. My machine does not have the ability to connect to a computer or flash drive, you have to purchase a special attachment that will write designs to a special card you have to purchase also. I'm hoping that by the Fall Forum Retreat I can upgrade to a newer embroidery machine and maybe bring it with me and learn some stuff from people there.

Good luck in your machine quest and welcome to the forums.

7. Thanks Abi thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! I have a Bernina 550 QE and bought it new from a local dealer. I love my Bernina! I had always used Singer but when I went looking for a new machine, my Step-mom suggested that I look at a Bernina, so I did and haven't regretted it once. They are a bit pricey, but I think you get a great machine. My machine is easy to use, and I love the stitch regulator for quilting.
    Carolyn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The 635 has been discontinued, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

You will have no warranty with a used machine, so the risk is all yours.

Bernina accessories are very expensive, so any hoops or presser feet you want are going to be pricey.

I am not sure of the cost of a new Creative 3.0. but feature wise between these 2 machines the Creative has more to offer.

Have you considered an embroidery only machine? Babylock/Brother make some exceptional embroidery only machines. The full price you pay is ALL about sweet embroidery features, whereas a sewing/embroidery combo machine's price reflects the sewing features, and some embroidery features.
    Cathryn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cat n bull View Post
    Have you considered an embroidery only machine? Babylock/Brother make some exceptional embroidery only machines. The full price you pay is ALL about sweet embroidery features, whereas a sewing/embroidery combo machine's price reflects the sewing features, and some embroidery features.
    This is good advise - I am looking at an embroidery only machine (Brothers PE770), about $600.

Good luck and welcome to the forum from Illinois.
    Keep Calm and Quilt On!
    Wishing all a happy and healthy 2016.
    Paula

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cat n bull View Post
    The 635 has been discontinued, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

You will have no warranty with a used machine, so the risk is all yours.

Bernina accessories are very expensive, so any hoops or presser feet you want are going to be pricey.

I am not sure of the cost of a new Creative 3.0. but feature wise between these 2 machines the Creative has more to offer.

Just so you know, my Bernina dealer gives me a one year parts and labor warranty on the used machines I purchase. He has been great to take care of me. I'm sure not all dealers will do this, but if you find one that will you have found a true gem.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobW View Post
    Just so you know, my Bernina dealer gives me a one year parts and labor warranty on the used machines I purchase. He has been great to take care of me. I'm sure not all dealers will do this, but if you find one that will you have found a true gem.
    My dealer also guarantees ALL machines he sells, new or used. Not sure if the OP was speaking of a dealer purchase or private purchase.

But Oh yes I 100% agree with you! A dealer like that IS a true gem!
    Cathryn

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

This is my opinion only, but I would stay with the Pfaff since you already are familiar with them. I think they have great embroidery abilities as well as great sewing features especially with their IDT.

Nancy
    Nancy

Psalm 126:3 The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.