Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spilled pins

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spilled pins

I've always kept my pins in the little plastic box they come in. Well today I've spilled that little box twice. I need to find a different way to keep them. I used to put them in one of those old red tomato style pin cushions, but I didn't really like that.

Do anyone have any suggestions? What do you use? Thanks!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spilled pins

My pins are in an old metal vintage singer tin . I have a magnet on the bottom it helps keep the pins in where they should be.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is the one I have. I love it because it is magnetic AND it has a cover. I had a dog who swallowed a needle, and the surgery to remove it was $1000. Now I am paranoid about loose pins and needles. If I should drop a pin, and can't find it, I can put the other pins in the cover and use the magnetic portion to sweep the floor for the missing pin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPISBtb-cVA
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a magnetic bowl I bought at Harbor Freight for just a couple bucks. I have had it probably three years and it was just this past month that I spilled any pins. That was only because I had it on my cutting table and it fell from that height....at least they didn't all fall out!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

6. Thanks Flaquilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a small round metal tin about 3 inches across, and about an inch and a half deep. I put a couple of strong little magnets in the bottom, then added pins. I've dropped it several times and never lost my pins. It has a lid too, if I need it.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I have a magnetic pin holder, love it; but when traveling I put them into the pin box.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

All of mine are in clear plastic square tubs that I get macaroni salad in.
    Since they are square they don't fall too often.
    But I did get a magnetic wand to search for any I may have dropped and that has been helpful!
    My friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

someone posted on here that they have a pretty little bowl that they stuck magnets on the bottom to hold pins. Brilliant! so much prettier and more inspiring to use than the plain ole ones you can buy - I took my old one apart and used those magnets on a pretty little dish. Magnets are the way to go!
    Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all!

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made several coordinating pin cushions and find these work better for me than a magnetic box or flat magnetic dish. With the magnetic systems, I generally picked up multiple pins and the extras would go straight in my mouth. I found with the pin cushion, I pick up a pin at a time and they spend much less time in my mouth! This is a life long habit that I am trying to break....so this works for me.