Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does it really take that long?

I wanted to make a quilt. I still do but a few people say it takes years. does it really? now I'm scared. I already ordered a walking foot

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does it really take that long?

It can take years if you are a purest quilter....in today's way of piecing and quilting, it shouldn't take long, but it also depends on how much time you devote, how fast you sew and how precise you cut your pieces!
    Last edited by shermur; July 28th, 2015 at 08:55 PM.
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the pattern and if you decide to hand quilt it. We have a member here that did a pretty complicated (to me) one in one weekend. Start small like a baby or lap size. Have fun!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you try a baby quilt, or table runner first?
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I can make many of Jenny's tutorials in 24 to 48 hours. I don't know of any pattern that would take me years. My first quilt was made by hand, embroidering each block and it only took 6 months.

We have someone here who still make them by hand, she and her sister.... our Bernice.. they can make a quilt in a week.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tytbody View Post
    I wanted to make a quilt. I still do but a few people say it takes years. does it really? now I'm scared. I already ordered a walking foot
    It depends on the construction method you choose. If you are machine quilting, no it does not take a/or year(s). As previously mentioned, if you are a purist (obviously you're not, e.g. walking foot ;D) and the pattern chosen it could possibly take a year. I would suggest watching Jenny's tutorials again, a jelly roll, simple 5" square charm pack with borders, zipper quilt, etc. Take it slow at first with a baby or lap quilt. If you've never sewn before, there's a lot to learn, and what this Forum is all about, helping you in your quilting journey. If you've sewn before, you have only new techniques to learn. Just remember, help is here anytime you may need it. Enjoy the process, it truly is a wonderful art form!

Also I suggest subscribing to MSQC's channel on Youtube, every video Jenny has done is there as well as here. Holler if you need assistance anytime!
    Last edited by Carrie J; July 28th, 2015 at 09:47 PM.
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Check out You Tube for MSQC. You will find a good start that will not take you a year!! The advice to start small is excellent advice. Get started you will be fine. Many blessings.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hand quilt full-size ones in about 8 10 weeks each. Piecing a simple one can be done in a couple days. It will probably take you a little longer, being a beginner, but certainly not YEARS.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the time you want to spend....but for the most part it doesn't take years. Most of us that quilt / sew really like to sew several times a week ( I love to sew every day ) .....
    What you need to do is to get used to doing something simple at first....such as making a tote bag.....Jenny has a couple of tote bag tutorials here on MSQC.....Another thing you might want to do is to make a table runner ....Do something "small" at first ( a baby quilt or lap quilt for someone is another good idea.......or maybe some placemats etc....
    This way, you can work into making a larger item.
    Just set yourself a certain time to sew and soon you will be on your way !! Good Luck !

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you use pre-cut fabric and a simple pattern with just straight line stitching (no points, no curves, no bias edges) you can make a beautiful quilt top in well under 40 hours. You can do the jelly roll race in a weekend. Allow another weekend for spray basting and straight line quilting with your walking foot (or send it to M* to be quilted.) One more weekend and the binding will be attached.

Three weekends and you are done
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.