Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does it really take that long?

The longest it ever took me to make a quilt was about 9 months. I designed and pieced it in a matter of weeks, just working a bit when I got home from work. Then I hand quilted it, quite densely, again only when I had some spare time. My kids were in elementary and middle school so I was a very busy mom with a full time job. I would mark and quilt a block at a time, then not work on it for weeks.

It all depends on what pattern you are doing, how intricately it will be quilted and by what method, and how much time you can devote to it.
    ~Louise

What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?
    George Eliot

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think sometimes when people say it took years for a quilt they are usually referring to quilts that have maybe been UFOs (unfinished objects). when I first started quilting I would start a quilt and finish it before starting another. Sadly that discipline has gone by the wayside. Sometimes I will start a quilt, then something else comes up, so that quilt gets set aside. Maybe by the time I get back to it a year (or more) has gone by. So maybe that quilt will be a year from the time I start it until I finish it but by no means have I spent an entire year in it's creation. Don't let hearing how long it takes discourage you. With all the convenience that todays quilters have you can finish a quilt quickly.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I haven't done much sewing but really wanted to start making quilts Long story short, after finding M* tutorials (and this forum) I did the zig zag table runner to start then moved on to the zipper quilt (Jenny has a nice tutorial on that). It did not take long to do the zipper quilt. I used a charm pack and jelly roll jr so there was less cutting to do.

Liz

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Like the other have said, it depends on the method, how much time you have available each day/week to work on it, and how complicated the pattern is
    I've done a large throw size of an intermediate design in about a week- being only able to work on it after my kiddo went to bed in the evenings. Had I more free time I probably could have done it in a few days. I use a plain sewing machine to do all my piecing, quilting with a walking foot, and binding.
    Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tytbody View Post
    I wanted to make a quilt. I still do but a few people say it takes years. does it really? now I'm scared. I already ordered a walking foot
    Are the few people quilters?
    Even as slow as I am I can make a few quilts a year. I do mine by machine.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

My last quilt top, took about 3 months, but only because I'd work on it an hour here, 30 minutes there. There'd be one or 2 weeks at a time I wouldn't work on it at all. I think that's the reason some take years.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

My quickest quilts (granted, they are little baby quilts) I have made start to finish in less than a day. And earlier this year I made a large twin quilt top, an double Irish chain, so lots of little squares, in a little over a week, and that was with no pre-cuts, I did all the cutting myself. Then I drove it off to the long-arm quilt lady. When she got it back to me, I trimmed, bound, and washed/dried it in less than a day.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I've had quilts take more than a year, but only because I had lots of other things going on and also because I make king size quilts and I get bored. Right now I have six in progress at various stages. When I start dreading working on one, I put it in away and pull out a different project.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

As said before, it depends... it can take me anywhere from 3 hours to 10 weeks to piece a top - the pattern and size make a huge difference. Last weekend I made 2 throw sized quilts (54" x 72"), pieced, quilted and bound as wedding presents, but that is ALL I did for the weekend

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It takes that long when you put it away and don't work on it. If you get tired of the fabric, the pattern or life takes over.
    If you stay focused and devote regular time to it, even a big quilt with a complicated pattern can be done in a few weeks time. I work full time and get to sew/quilt on weekends and evenings only and I have made a dozen quilts in this year alone.
    Honestly, you can make a baby quilt, using precuts and a simple pattern in a weekend. Just make sure to ignore your chores :-)
    I do!!!