Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spray Adhesive ????

You Would think I would know the answer to this question( I don't ) ....but here it goes !

I have had a Husqvarna / Viking Designer SE machine for about 8-9 yrs now, and I have NEVER used the embroidery unit !! ( Gasp! yes, it's true.....I am actually "scared" to try it I am sad to admit )

Anyway, I went to Jo-Ann's the other day, and there's a gal that works at the Viking Gallery Shop in our local Jo-Ann's that I always stop and chat with so I asked her a couple of questions and the "embroidery " was brought up as well ( she was doing some embroidery for the shop on one of the newer Husqvarna / Viking machines. She stopped long enough to give me a quick lesson,and asked me if I had some spray adhesive, and I actually thought I did...but I don't. So, the question is :
    Where do most of you who embroidery ( or quilt too ) purchase your Spray Adhesives, and what brand would you recommend ?

Thanks Everyone !!

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spray Adhesive ????

I have a Bernina Embroidery Machine
    I was told to use the spray adhesives, but they really gummed up my hoops and even some towels that I was embroidering.
    I no longer use the spray adhesive for my embroidery machine
    I do use the self adhesive embroidery stabilizer and it is great!
    Happy Quilting!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Pfaff Creative Sensation. I only use spray adhesive when doing applique in the hoop. I have a variety of stabilizers that are adhesive but use them sparingly. I find it difficult to remove. I use 505 spray. I get it at my lqs. My choice of stanilizer depends on the fabric, stitch density and end use. If its for a wall hanging or pursr I don't worry about removing it all but if it is for clothes or a quilt I want to remove all I can. My current favorite is no show mesh. Stays soft.
    Ann

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I get the Dritz spray adhesive from the quilt section at Joann (use a 40% or 50% off coupon). I don't care for it for spray basting quilts, but it's good enough for embroidery. Use some Simple Green and a scrub brush to remove from hoops if it builds up. Oh, and be careful not to spray near your machine. I sprayed too close to mine and now it looks dirty.

5. Thanks lapeoples thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I use 505 spray adhesive and I mean I use it for all of my embroidery, I never hoop my fabric anymore only the stabilizer then spray it and stick my fabric down. Yes my hoops are horrible but who cares it sure is super easy when you don't have to hoop everything and so much easier to get it square in the hoop. I just finished 3 runners that are machine embroidered in sections then sewn together and I love them.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I get 505 at Ace hardware. We have two and one is half craft store. But I just discovered my closer one carries it too. A couple of my hoops are a mess too. lol

Lorie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

505 here as well. It does make the hoops gross, but, they do clean off if it gets in the way.
    My embroidery tip is that that even if you use adhesive, be sure to use a basting stitch around your design to help prevent slippage, or you might end up with wonky designs.

However, I still hoop most of my work unless I am doing bulky towels or a fabric that gets crushed by the hoop.

In my experience, some designs don't even need adhesive, just a basting stitch.

Happy embroidery watching. I usually can't help myself.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyMachines View Post
    505 here as well. It does make the hoops gross, but, they do clean off if it gets in the way.
    My embroidery tip is that that even if you use adhesive, be sure to use a basting stitch around your design to help prevent slippage, or you might end up with wonky designs.

However, I still hoop most of my work unless I am doing bulky towels or a fabric that gets crushed by the hoop.

In my experience, some designs don't even need adhesive, just a basting stitch.

Happy embroidery watching. I usually can't help myself.
    What do you use to clean them? Seems I tried everything.

Lorie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I've no experience with embroidery machines, just throwing in my half cent about basting spray. The spray baste I've used is Sulky kk2000, it's the most natural one I could find. It doesn't leave a residue behind very long because the stickiness evaporates within a day or so. So it's only for projects you're getting done soon after spraying, unlike 505 that can be left seemingly indefinitely. I like that you can spray it indoors, though I keep a window open. I haven't found it to gum up my needle.