Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quilting newbie.

Hello everyone,
    I love doing all crafts but my favorite are sewing and knitting. I have done a few small quilting projects such as baby blankets and wall hangings. I just bought Moda's Block Party jelly rolls and extra yardage to make a quilt for my daughter when I retire in a few years. It seems to be clearing out at different stores online. I love the bring colors. I'm going to try the 3 Dudes block shown on the site. This uses 4 strips sewn together then cut into squares and then 2 squares sewn together around outside after being placed perpendicular to each other. I think it will be a good start for me. Any advice from anyone on how to combine strip colors. There are so many different fabric and each in reds, Aqua, navy, hello-orange, lime and cream. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Marion

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilting newbie.

Welcome, I don't have any advice about the quilt, but I just wanted to say hello.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome to the forum from Illinois. Check out Jenny's tutorials - she has many, many wonderful, fun and easy patterns to try out.
    Keep Calm and Quilt On!
    Wishing all a happy and healthy 2016.
    Paula

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Marion
    Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts.The jelly roll strips are made to work with each other so I don't know if it matters which color you put beside another,unless you have a preference.
    Joan

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!

I also suggest checking out Jenni's tutorials (including the Three Dudes quilt you mention).

I might add a word of caution, here - if you are picky about your seams matching, that might not be the one to start with. It has given me and more than a few other quilters quite a fit. In the end, it is worth it, but it is not the easiest.

As far as colors - mix them up and arrange them so that each strip contrasts with the one next to it.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from California!
    Donna is right, in that it is a little tricky getting the seams to match after they're cut apart. Otherwise, it is a fun block.
    Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just have fun!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Ohio. How thoughtful of you to start collecting the fabrics you want now instead of waiting. Also, you may change your mind when the time comes to sew them into a quilt. There are so many way to use jelly rolls that in case that happens, you can still make a wonderful quilt. Many times I buy a bundle for one thing and wind up with another idea by the time I actually get to it.

Have fun and check in here often and be sure to watch all the amazing videos out there.