Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Cool I am a new member to the MSQC!

Hi, my name is Carol M. and I am a new member to the quilting community...and am thrilled to be here! I have always been fairly crafty, and have knitted, crocheted, cross-stitched, counted cross-stitched, sewn(actually made a couple of dresses, in my late teens, early 20's...well, you get it, I hope. I am a registered nurse and mother of 4 grown girls. My only boy is my husband haha! I am even a proud grandmother of 3, my last granddaughter being born only a few weeks ago! My girls have always called me "a good cooker", so I will add that to my repertoire, quickly . Anyways, I guess I am trying to "re-invent" myself, and have chosen quilting as my new project. Seeing all the beautiful fabrics out there today, really excites me. However, here's my big dilemma...I found myself disabled at the age of appx. 56, having had lung surgery for lung cancer, and suffering a stroke 2 weeks after the operation. I lost the use of my entire left side and ended up with chronic nerve pain(the whole left side). I was released from rehab early, to see our oldest daughter get married and walk down the aisle, with my husband. And yes, I walked down the aisle, as I refused to be in a wheelchair and have that in her pictures(although my daughter really didn't mind). I guess my own stubbornness kicked in there. I've had 2 more lung surgeries since , and 3 spinal surgeries, for pain relief, since the stroke. I have regained a lot of my left leg function, but still don't have any of my left hand function. I recently was able to sew a yo-yo owl, for our new grand-baby, all hand made, which made me very happy! I tell you all of this, so you can tell where I'm coming from, not to feel sorry for me . I just feel that I must create something..
    .to be creative....to make something worthwhile, while I finally have all this spare time! So I am excited to be part of this quilting community and only hope that I can keep up with all of you experienced quilters ! So, that's all. Hope I haven't bored you to tears with all of this!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I am a new member to the MSQC!

Welcome to the forum from Missouri. You have certainly have been through a lot but you have the spirit of a champion. I hope you enjoy your time spent here.

3. Thanks Carol M. thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Carol and welcome from North Carolina! You have had a time of it!! I'm sure your nursing career has given you some insight to the recovery possibilities for you and some of the occupational therapy items available out there.
    I hope there are things in quilting that you will enjoy doing so ask away..... Someone here is bound to have info for you!
    So welcome to another nurse/quilter/grandma of 3!!!
    My friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

5. Thanks Carol M. thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from California!!

7. Thanks Carol M. thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Carol, and Welcome to the Forum from Texas. We, that have been in the Medical Field, seem to have a tenacity of spirit that can overcome just about anything. I'd say you fit that description very well! Ask away at anytime, we'll be there for ya! Glad you joined this crazy group, it's a lot of fun!
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

9. Thanks Carol M. thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to this wonderful quilting community, Carol! Aren't you blessed to have so many to quilt for! Don't worry about making anyone feel sorry for you when that isn't your intent, we all have a story and quilting carries us through life together. And for heavens sake don't fuss about a wheelchair if you need it. I watched my grandfather lose pieces of his life by refusing mobility aids, and now I have a neuromuscular condition called Myasthenia Gravis that makes me need a wheelchair often and I consider it a great friend of mine because it gets me out of the house on days my legs don't work. If not for seeing how that refusal limited my grandfather, I'd have been stubborn about it a whole lot longer.

Because my muscles get very weak with use, I have to modify a lot of my sewing needs and find tools that help me.You're welcome to private message me any time for ideas on making sewing easier, or how to deal with the frustration that sometimes results. Quilting has tremendous therapeutic value!

11. Thanks Carol M. thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome

13. Thanks Carol M. thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Massachusetts

15. Thanks Carol M. thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Carol-

Welcome from Connecticut. I am also a new quilter and a RN. I think you have a lot of things to count as blessings.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, from California. You'll find lots of helpful people here. And in that spirit, may I introduce you to a company that specializes in helping overcome sewing challenges?

The company is called Creative Feet, as in sewing machine feet. The first foot they invented was to help a blind sew-er. I use this for a lot to help with accuracy, and I'm sure it would help with any weakness in your left hand. They also invented a couple of feet that help with adding trim. Creative Feet - Sewing, Quilting and Embroidery Solutions and Supplies

Welcome!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

18. Thanks Carol M. thanked for this post