Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What does hand quilted mean?

I hand pieced and hand quilted the first two quilts I did.You def. will not make as many quilts that way,but if you do it all the time your stitching can move along pretty quick.
    Joan

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hand pieced quilts.....the blocks were sewn together by hand...... Hand quilting....the quilting itself has been done by hand....

These techniques can be used together in the same quilt, or they can be used separately..... For instance, you can machine piece your blocks, then hand quilt the quilt, or vice versa.. I have mixed both machine and hand quilting in the same quilt.... I just machine quilted a hand pieced quilt (although I had planned to hand quilt it).

I hope this makes sense.... I've only had one cup of coffee.... Time for a second....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I took a quilting class about 40 years ago where we had to hand piece and hand quilt everything. I only did a few pillow tops doing it that way, and then kids and work got in the way for all these years. When I finally got back to quiltmaking a few years ago, I machine pieced everything I handquilted all the grandkids baby quilts, but nothing else because now I am too slow and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. I would never finish a large quilt if I did it by hand, but I do small items by hand just because it is enjoyable and gives a much different look to the piece.
    Linda
    "Home is where they love you"