Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Uneven quilt top

So I am new. Let's just remember that this is my very first project...

I did the jelly roll race. Added a 1.5 inch stop border. And a 6 inch second border.

Now I just measured my quilt so I could start to figure out the backing size needed. My top and bottom are measuring about 63" and 65". My sides are about 76" and 78 ".

I'm off two inches!

What now? Do I need to take it all apart and try again? Or just quilt it and then square it up? I'm so lost. And I thought I was doing so well

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Uneven quilt top

When I do a quilt I'm usually a 20 inch difference between the length and width, seams like your doing fine

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do wierd things like block it like a wet sweater. Then iron it.. Probably not everyone's advice. lol

Lorie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Did you square it up before you added the borders? Don't worry if it doesn't match the dimensions listed in the tutorial. just make sure it's squared off as best you can. Does it look terribly wonky when you lay it out? If it does, and it were me, I'd rip the borders off and try to square it up. If it doesn't look too bad I'd leave it (that's a lot of ripping) and chalk it up to experience. Two inches isn't too too bad, especially for a first quilt.

My advise? Leave it. My first quilt is crooked, the seams don't match very well, and it's quilted terribly. I love it better than life itself.
    Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all!

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

5. Thanks Jewel thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    I do wierd things like block it like a wet sweater. Then iron it.. Probably not everyone's advice. lol
    or block it like a wet sweater!

Hey - that's actually a pretty good idea. Hm........
    Last edited by pharris123; July 21st, 2015 at 05:27 AM.
    Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all!

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

How much of a perfectionist are you? If you are happy with what you've got....quilt it and forget it. If you are not happy and want a more perfect quilt...remove borders and square it up and put borders back on (make sure you watch a tutorial on adding borders the correct way...don't just take extra long strips of fabric and sew them on without measuring and making the sides fit those measurements). You are the only one you have to please.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

First quilt? I'd finish it as is and move on to the next one.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This was my first thought too. I think the JRR quilts really need to be squared up before adding borders. That said I would probably leave it since it is your first quilt. Just keep it in mind for future reference.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My JRR2 wasn't really square either, but I just cut my backing to match it, sandwiched it and then serged the edges and I'm not worried about it being square because I love the fabrics I used and the outer border is large enough to hide the fact its a little off. It will be used as is and who cares if the measurements are off. No quilt police in this house. LOL

EDIT: It was bound after the serging. I like to serge to hold it all together before binding. Find it easier to bind that way.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice from all above....just go for it.... a 2" difference isn't going to make a whole lot of difference in the amount of material you'll need for your back...if you piece....horizontally 4 1/2 yds......vertically 4 yds. at 44" fabric.....if you use wide width fabric without piecing it it'll take 2 1/2 yds. of 108" wide fabric.

"May there always be work for your hands to do"